You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Feb 2005

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00102 Feb 2005

 SrI:

Dear BhakthAs of Swamy Desikan :

After the two Naandhi (Ranga Poojaa ) slOkams ,
the SoothradhAran ( the conductor of this drama)
by name Vaiknunta VinOdhini appears on stage and
announces :

"aadhishtOsmi " ( I have been commanded by the AchArya
PurushAs ) to appear on this stage and he describes the auspicious
attributes and the occupations of those SadAchAryAs :

1. They stay at the dhivya dEsams of the Lord ( Srirangam ,
Thirumala , Kaanchi , ThirunArAyaNapuram , JagannAtham ,
PaaNDurangam et al) and take an active part in the festivals
and kaimkaryams for the Archaa Moorthys there . With the dust
from their sacred feet , they consecrate this earth ; they are on
a par with the nithyasooris like AdhisEsha and VishvaksEnar ;
they are honored by all and are free from any blemishes ; they are
abodes of all aathma guNams and conduct themselves in
a manner appropriate to their kulam , Jn~Anam and kaala-
dEsa aachAram ; they are like the angry  elephants in rut ,
when it comes to uprooting the arguments of Veda BhAhyars
and Kudhrushtis just like the pachyderm in a field of plantain
trees ; they are rich with their upaasanAs , aarAdhanam for
the Lord and follow either Bhakthi or Prapatthi maargam for
Moksha Siddhi from their Lord ; BhagavAn worshipped by them
has His sacred feet resting on the lotus peetam , which are
objects of aaratthi by the rays of gems positioned on the crowns of
prostrating dEvAs ; this Lord of the SadAchAryAs has taken
a dheekshai (vow) to protect those performing SaraNAgathy
at His feet ; that Lord observes His dharmams with Sri DEvi
and is like the huge assembly of clouds pouring down rain
on the wild fire of samsAram.

The melodious gadhya vaakhyams used by Swamy Desikan
to describe the Lord and the travels of His SadAchAryans to
His dhivya dEsams are lilting and are a delight to the ears .
Here is an example of the SuthradhAran saluting the dust
from the sacred feet of the SadAchAryans consecrating
this earth through their paadha dhULis : " --- --- chaDula- -charaNa-
naLina - dhooLi- paDala- pavithritha- kshamAtalai: -- -- --".

Their travel to the dhivya dEsams of  the Lord is saluted this way: "-- --
Sriranga-Vrushagiri-Sathyavratha- Yadhugiri- PurushOtthama-PaaNDuranga
prabhrudhibhishu dhivyAbhi-vyakthi dEsushu yaTAbhimatha  yAthrOthsava
sEvAhEvAka-vihitha-gathAgathA: -- -- " The SuthradhAran identifies the
Sadaacharyans as experts in comprehending the esoteric meanings of
Upanishads and crown jewels among people populating all directions .

Now SuthradhAran explains the command given to him by the AchAryAs :

They have orderd me to conduct the play (Naadakam) that will have
the three requisites  :

(1) To deflect the mind of the simple folks(lalitha manasAm )  ,
who have poor control over their Sariram , manas and sufferings and
attune them to enjoy the blemishless ninth rasam (KaruNA rasam)
instead of SrungAra , Veera and other 7  rasams that they are used to
and nourish them with that KaruNA/Saantha rasam .

(2)The Naatakam should banish the samsAric sufferings of all

(3) it should have characters (actors) like VivEkam (Discriminative
Intellect) and Moham ( delusion ) and supporting cast for these
two categories(nruguNee bhUya tannAmakA: naDa parishadhaa:) .

The slOkam corresponding to the above thoughts are :

lalitha-manasAm preethyai Bhibrath rasanthAra-bhUmikAm--
navamaguNo yasmin naaDyE rasO navama: sTitha:
jananapadhaveejangalArthicchidhAnruguNeebhavann-
naDa-parishadhaatEna aasvAdham SathAmupachinvathy

SutradhAran continues : "   I have now taken the vow to follow
the command of AchAryAs (SaamarTya SatthvA: ) . My name is
Vaikunta VinOdhindhini . I am the son of SanthOsha- Paalakan ,
the King of dance , who is a disciple of the creator of Bharatha
Saasthram ( Bharatha Muni). My father is like the lion against
the elephants of other  naDaas. Our audience consists of VidhvAns ,
who have assembled without any other distractions (VyApArAnthara
ThyAgis) since this play is for the realization of success in gaining
(the vyApAram of ) MOksha Siddhi .

The SoothradhAran continues: This sabhA consists of people , who
have clear knowledge about Naatya LakshaNams , Desi and Maargam;
these rasikAs will not turn their face towards evil . They appear like
the DevathAs respected by Bharatha Saasthram . {{ Naatyam is dance/play ;
Desi is acting based on the union of speech , alankAram (decoration/make
up ) and appropriate mental state . Desi is also made up of the movements
corresponding to TaaLam (beat) without bhAvam (emotion) . Margam
announces BhAvam}} .

Now the SutradhAran recites the fourth slOkam of Sri HayagrIva
SthOthram to seek Lord HayagrIvan's anugraham . The meaning
of this slOkam has been covered in :

http://www.parakalamatham.org/stotrams/hs

The 4th SlOkam of Sri HayagrIva StOtram is:

prAchi sandhyA kaachidhantarnisAyA:
praj~nAdhrushtEranjana-SrIrapoorvA
vakthree vEdhAn bhAthu mE vaajivakthrA--
VaagheesAkhyA VaasudEvasya Moorthy:

(Meaning): The horse faced Lord of speech (Vaageesan) is indeed
the avathAra roopam of Para VaasudEvan of SrI Vaikuntam .
He instructs Brahma Devan on VedAs and is like the unique
morning light (PrAtha: SandhyA ) to drive away our inner darkness.
He is the matchless , sacred collyrium ( anjanam) for revelation of
dhivya Jn~Anam . May This SubhAsraya ThirumEni of this incarnation
of Para VaasudEvan shine within and before me always !

Therefore for success in my efforts to follow the commands of
SadAchAryans , adiyEn worships the Supreme Lord HayagrIvan ,
who makes it possible to climb all VidhyA SthAnams including
Vedam and Bhagavath Saasthrams .

Next the SutradhAran recites a slOkam from Sri DasAvathAra
SthOthram . In the previous slOkam , the SutradhAran offered
his salutations to Lord HayagrIvan for jn~Anam relating to
the conductance of the Naatakam ; now , he salutes Lord
RanganAthan , the dEvathai for the Naatyam /Naatakam ,
who performs the ten kinds of avathAra naatyam :

dEvO na: subhamAtanOthu dasadhA nirvartayan bhUmikAm
  rangE dhAmani labdha-nirbhara-rasairadhyakshithO bhAvukai:
yadhbhAvEshu pruTagvidhEshvanuguNAn bhAvAn svayam Bibrathee
  yaddharmairiha dharmiNi viharatE nAnAkruthirnAyikaa

(Meaning): Lord RanganAthan takes ten actor's roles through
His ten incarnations and is enjoyed by the rasikAs of Srirangam .
In each of His avathArams (abhinayams) as Vyuha Moorthy ,
VibhavaavathAran, Devan , Human and animal , His DEvi takes
on a matching form and performs His kaimkaryams in a matching
manner and enjoys the leela rasam of such avathArams . May that
Lord of Srirangam confer on us all auspiciousness !

Now the SuthradhAran appears in a mediative pose for
the duration of one muhUrtham and becomes joyous and states:

I have now been drenched by the daya-laden glances of
the Svatantra dhaivam , which has all tatthvams under its
control ; That bhAgyam is a direct result of adiyEn's worship of
that dhaivam . He completes a final salutation to the Lord and
declares his intention regarding the conductance of the Naatakam.

Sruthi kireeDa-vihAra jushaa dhiyA surabhithAmiha naaDaka-paddhathim
muhuravEkshya VivEkamupaghnyan mathamapasriyAmi vipaschithAm

(Meaning): I will give first place to the doctrines of Jn~Anis
using King VivEkan as firm support and discover the path for
the Naatakam that has been made fragrant with Upanishads ,
Brahma Soothram and Sri BhAshyam .

Now the SutradhAran turns his face towards the actor's
dressing rooms and says : " Oh honorable Nadi ( Actress )!
May this sacred stage be accepted by you with affection .

(To Be continued )

Swamy Desikan ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam  ,
Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

Daasan , Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org

http://us.click.yahoo.com/UwRTUD/UOnJAA/i1hLAA/XUWolB/TM