You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jul 2008

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00010 Jul 2008

Jul 2008 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Commentaries-Their Greatness

What makes our Commentaries - vyAkyAnam-s invaluable ? Is it the language, is it the quotes, is it the anecdotes, is it the unbiased reporting, is it the continuity, is it the philosophy, is it the illustrations? is it the questioning and justifications? Is it due to with wonderful avathArikai-s and summary?

Well all of the above and more.

These Commentaries were recorded in tamil and sanskrit combined -maNipravALam. This made the most wonderful reading experience.

The quotes from upanishads, Srimad RamayaNam , Srimad Bhagavad GiTA, Sri VishNu purANAm. ThirukkuRaL .. the list goes on- strengthens the vyakyanam and also adds credibility.

The anectodes or aidhiyangaL-s are the words/ discussions/dialogues between our AchAryas in real lives- which facilitates easy understanding and
also gives a peep into the life our great AchAryAs.

The unbiased reporting- The reporting of certain happenings in the context of particular commentary, multifarious interpretations in an unbiased manner irrespective of who is involved adds credibility to a great extent.

The continuity- sangathi- The links or the coherence betweeen each tens, hundreds and pathigams- are lifelines for our commentaries. These links actually bring out the expereince of our AzvAr-s.

The philosphy- thatvams-It is said that a needle thrown into any place on the vyAkyanam on a random basis would fall on  either of Thirumanthram, dhvyam, charma sloKam, artha panchakam, etc. These form the pillars of our SrivaishNavic faith and corroborate the fact that AzvAr-s are indeed proponents and followers of these in an unflinching manner.

The illustrations- vudharanangaL- These are examples - real life mostly - which help in understanding the import of the vyAkyanam-s and the mind of Azvar-s.

The Questioning and Justifications- The commentators just do not go on to give the meanings of words in a mundane way but go on to question why AzvAr has talked like this? why not that way, and then go on to give the replies. The commenatators either give these themselves or give through actual events which had taken place earlier. Never taking it for granted, the VyAkyAna karthAs always justified potential future queries and paved way for unquestioned journey for the posterity.

avathArikai and Summary: The Tradition of giving the synopsys of the ensuing 10/11 pAsuram-s in  a nutshell generally with special reference to a particular pasuram, linking the previous ten and this are the hallmarks of the introduction.In fact, it is said that EDu avathArikai itself will give a holistic view of the whole 'TiruvAimozhi'.
Likewise, the summary in a nutshell of the ten pAsuram-s is given in  crisp manner in the last pAsuram.

The special features of vyAkyAnam-s are endless. It varies from commenatators to commentators but broadly consist the above ingredients and more.

Let us go into each category with some references from vyAkyanam-s.

dasan
vanamamalai padmanabhan

Oppiliappan Koil Varadachari Sadagopan
http://www.sadagopan.org