You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00074 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:
SrImathE Ramanujaya namah:
Dearest Srivaishnavas,

Thus having immersed himself in the Lord Ranganathan of Srirangam divya desam, who dispels the darkness and takes us through the ladder of ArchirAdhi maargam and then removes the ladder after our attaining His place, where there is full of Bliss (theLivisumbu thirunaadu), AzhwAr now prays to Him for remembering Him and uttering his divine names when his (AzhwAr?s) limbs, senses and mind are in good conditions saying that he would not be able to think of Him in the death bed?
Yet another marvelous ten (as AzhwAr?s upadEsam for us..)

thuppudaiyaarai_adaivadhellaam
sOrvidaththuththuNaiyaavarenRE
oppilEnaakilumn^innadaindhEn
aanaikkun^ee_aruLseydhamaiyaal
eyppu_ennaivandhun^aliyumpOdhu
angu_Edhumn^aanunnain^inaikkamaattEn
appOdhaikku_ippOdhEsollivaiththEn
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! (2) 1.

Oh Lord of Srirangam! SeshasaayinE! (reclining on AdhisEshan!)- those who surrender to capable persons in the world have got tremendous faith that they (the capable person) would be helpful to saraNgathan (one who surrenders). It is a natural process. It is because of one?s complete faith on Him (The Lord)- he surrenders to Him.. Though I am an unparalleled king of all sinners, knowing fully well of your mercy and tvarai (intense desire) to rush to the rescue of saraNAgathar (one who surrenders) like You did for the elephant (GajEndrAzhwAn), I have caught hold of You as my refuge. When I am incapable and disabled on my death bed- suffering terribly, when everyone else yells around me, that time, it would be extremely impossible to think of You (as anthima smaraNam) and hence when my mind is stable and limbs work, I have uttered You divine name and placed myself at your feet. _ let this help then (at the death bed).

When You have been so merciful even for the elephant, this human being is now pleading to You for saving himself. Though I am an incorrigible sinner, when the prapatti saasthram can work for an elephant why not me? It would also work.

saamidaththu_ennaikkuRikkoLkaNdaay
sangodusakkaramEndhinaanE!
naamadiththu_ennai_anEkathaNdam
seyvadhaan^iRparn^aman_thamar_kaL
pOmidaththu_un_thiRaththu_eththanaiyum
pukaavaNNamn^iRpadhOrmaayaivallai
aamidaththE_unnaichchollivaiththEn
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 2.

Oh Lord RanganAthA! The One who has the Conch shell and the divine chakrA in His resplendent hands! When I die, think of me.. (else), the yam dhUthAs folding their tongues inside, muttering with anger (due to my enomrmous paapams) will be waiting with the list of punishments for me. If I go along with them, (You too) are capable of creating a maayai in me to never ever think of You even for a fraction of a second for ages.. (many births) )Hence), when I can utter, I have uttered Your divine names..

I have uttered your names- also may mean: I have sung from ThiruppallaNdu till now.. about You. Pelase think of this on my death bed. (saamidatthu ennai kuRikkoL)

ellaiyilvaasalkuRukachchenRaal
eRRin^aman_thamar_paRRumpOdhu
nilluminennum_upaayamillai
nEmiyumsangamum_EndhinaanE!
sollalaampOdhE_unn^aamamellaam
sollinEn ennaikkuRikkoNdu_enRum
allalpadaavaNNamkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 3.

Oh Lord RanganAthA! Sesha saayinE! The door (at the entrance) is partially closed (ajar) as I am on my death bed. At that time, when Yama dhUthAs come near me and catch hold of, there is no way and reason for me to say ?stay out of my course?. Oh Lord having ChakrA and Sankhu! When I can utter (or have the ability to utter) your divine sweet names, I have uttered them loudly. Please have mercy on aDiyEn (who has uttered your divine names thus now) and think of me at the most appropriate time (at death bed) and save me from all sufferings.

[Traditions aver that they close the front door ajar when there is a death in the house.]

oRRaividaiyanumn^aanmukanum
unnaiyaRiyaapperumaiyOnE!
muRRa_ulakellaamn^eeyEyaaki
moonRezhuththaayamudhalvanEyaa!
aRRadhuvaaNaaL_ivaRkenReNNi
anchan^aman_thamar_paRRaluRRa
aRRaikku, nee_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 4.

Even Rudran, who has peerless Bull as his vehicle and four faced Brahmaa can not comprehend the greatness and glory of Yours! Oh Lord! You have manifested in everyone and everything as antharyaami! Oh ParavaasudEvA! The essence of sacred divine praNavam and the one who has taken three vyUha avathArams namely Pradhyumnan, SankarshaNan and Aniruddhan (like the three aksharaas of praNavam!) ?This guy has lived enough and his days are over? saying this when Yama dhUthAs come near me scaring everyone around me (seeing my suffering on death bed), please save me.

When you are scared of yama dhUthAs, why not you pray to the demi god of destruction ? Rudran- who conducts avAnthara mahApraLayam (nithya praLayam) as ordained by me; as Rudran is the lord of Yama- asks Sriman Narayanan to AzhwAr. AzhwAr replies: Oh Lord! Unparalleled OppAril appA! Even for that Rudran, and his father BrahmA- You are incomprehensible and your glories beyond anybody?s ability to understand. Those who do not understand Vedic truth, Vedantha only will say and wrongly interpret saying, ?thrimUrthys are equal to each other and all three of them are one and the same.? Vedid statement which declare that (1) uthkrushtam, Nikrushtam, Chethanam, achEthanam ? such differences also are You; and (2) You are (the antharyaami roopam in) Sivan and Brahmaa. There is no difference between the two statements. You are sarvaantahraami. You are ParavaasudEva, who has taken vuYha avathArams and who themselves have acted through BrhamA, Sivan and Your own self Vishnu- for the three functionalities as trio- out of your own sowlabhyam! You are the essence of praNavam and the three aksharas are like those vyUha avathArams. You are Nithya muktha sEvyan- none else. Is there anyway can one get mOksham without Your dayA-without being devoted to only You?

Also Yama is servant of Rudran as instructed by You. In the world, when king has servants working for him, so has the minister to whom few people report to- as instructed and employed by the king. Ultimate is however the king alone. Thus, Yama, his master Rudran, his father BrahmA are all Your creations.

paiyaravinaNaip paaRkadaluL
paLLikoLkinRaparamamoorththi!
uyya_ulakupadaikkavENdi
undhiyilthORRinaayn^aanmukanai
vaiyamanisaraippoyyenReNNik
kaalanaiyum_udanEpadaiththaay
aiya! ini_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 5.

Oh Lord, having the dhivya mangaLa vigraham of reclining on AdhisEshan as the bed on Ksheera saagaram (milky ocean)! Before that in EkOdhakasamudra, in order to create all jeevathmas, You mercifully created four faced Brahma from the lotus in Your navel! To evaluate the humans [who are born on this earth] as to who has done what paapam (against saasthrAs), and to punish them accordingly, You created Yama. My father! En aiyA! Lord RanganAthA! Thus hereafter You should save me (for having uttered Your name realizing all the above)

thaNNenavillain^aman_thamar_kaL
saalakkodumaikaLseyyaan^iRpar
maNNodun^eerum_eriyumkaalum
maRRum_aakaasamumaakin^inRaay!
eNNalaampOdhE_unn^aamamellaam
eNNinEn, ennaikkuRikkoNdu_enRum
aNNalE! nee_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 6.

Oh Lord! The one who is the antharyaami of five elements namely, prithvi (the earth), waters, agni (effulgence), air (vaayu), Space (AkAsam)! Swami! Lord RanganathA! SeshasaayinE! Yama dhUtHAs keep punishing and they do not anything cool or pleasant. Hence, as much as possible, when I (am blessed to) have the ability to utter the japam of divine names of Yours, I have been doing it. Hence without forgetting me, You should always save me..

When one dies, the body consisting of five elements lets the soul leave. The yama dhUthAs are waiting anxiously to start their work of punishing. Hence now itself, I have started uttering your divine names.

sencholmaRaipporuLaakin^inRa
dhEvar_kaLn^aayakanE! emmaanE!
enchalilennudaiyinnamudhE!
Ezhulakumudaiyaay! ennappaa!
vanchavuruvinn^aman_thamar_kaL
valindhun^alindhu_ennaippaRRumpOdhu
anchalamenRu_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 7.

Oh Devaadhi dEvA! The one who is the essence of all Vedas (which is full of sweet words)! My swami! My sweetest divine insatiable nectar! The ruler of fourteen worlds! My AppA! (Father) When the deceitful Yama dhUthAs forcibly snatch me and hold me making me suffer, You should save me saying, ?Do not fear? (anjal).

The sweet worded Vedas- why sweet? Because the Vedic statement saying that he (ParamAhtmA Sriman Narayanan) grants to all demi gods (Devas) their respective powers (bhIshAsmaadvAtha: pavathi.. bhIshOdhEthi Soorya: bhIshAsmadhagnischEndras cha: ). The Purusha has no imperfections; Even one who has no understanding of Vedic meanings when uttering them, grants the reciter the fruits of such utterances; In all times and under all circumstances and at anytime (and beyond time), the Vedas talk only what is EmperumAn?s ThiruvuLLam (what is in his heart) and nothing else.

naan_Edhum_unmaayamonRaRiyEn
naman_thamar_paRRin^alindhittu indha
oonEpukEyenRumOdhumpOdhu
angEdhum naan_unnain^inaikkamaattEn
vaanEyvaanavar_thangaLeesaa!
madhuraippiRandhamaamaayanE! en
aanaay! nee_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 8.

Oh Master of Nithyasooris! Paramapadha nAthA! Oh most wonderful Lord! Ascharya bhUthA! Lord RanganAthA! I (this lowly soul) do not know at all even a fraction of Your mystery and wonderful nature! When yama dhUthAs punish me, pushing me saying, ?live in this body the embodiment of all sins? and at that time, I would not be able to do anything not will have any power to do against that. At that horrifying moment, I can not also think of You. [hence- having thought of Your greatest glories and Unparalelled Parathvam now and having uttered Your divine names[, You should save me.

kunReduththu_aan^iraikaaththa_aayaa!
kOn^iraimEyththavanE! emmaanE!
anRumudhal inRaRudhiyaa
aadhiyanchOdhimaRandhaRiyEn
nanRumkodiyan^aman_thamar_kaL
nalindhuvalindhu_ennaippaRRumpOdhu
anRangun^ee_ennaikkaakkavENdum
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanE! 9.

Oh GopA! The one who lifted effortlessly the huge Govardhana mountain and saved the cattle! Lord who reared the cows with such a sowlabhyam! My Master! From that KrishNAvathAram till this enjoyment of dhivya mangaLa vigraham of Sri RanganAthan here at Srirangam, I do not remember that I have forgotten You. When yama dhUthAs hold me firm on that day, then and there You should save me.

At that day, When you were born as KrishNA, I was there as YasOdhA. You came to me running with open mouth and hugged and kissed me. Today, I have appeared as Vishnu chitthan and standing here in front of You in Srirangam. I have not forgotten You.

maayavanaimadhusoodhananai
maadhavanaimaRaiyOr_kaLEththum
aayar_kaLERRinai_achchudhanai
arangaththaravaNaippaLLiyaanai
vEyar_pukazhvillipuththoorman
vittuchiththan_sonnamaalaipaththum
thooyamanaththanaraakivallaar
thoomaNivaNNanukkaaLar_thaamE. 10.

About the most wonderful Lord, most mysterious Lord (Ascharya bhUthan), the one praised and worshipped by VaidIkas, Gopa srEshtan, the One who never ever leaves His devotees in the lurch, Sri RanganAthan- Sri Vishnu chitthar of Sri villiputthUr has sung these pAsurams and those who recite them with pure heart, will always be blessed to be dAsars of and be enslaved by the blue hued lord Sriman Narayanan.

PeriyAzhwAr ThiruvadigaLE SaraNam
Regards
Namo Narayana
dAsan