You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Jun 2003

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00101 Jun 2003

Jun 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

On this father's day, let us enjoy pondering  over some narrations from our Ithihaasas.

 Mahaabhharatham, Vanaparva, Chapter 183 includes the narration by the great sage Maarkkandaeya of a story related to a learned Brahmin called Kousika (whose fiery eyes burnt a bird) and a chaste lady and a dutiful son named Dhharmavyaadhha.  This story is well known to many, but for ther benefit of those who do not know here is a short narration:

Once there was a holy brahmin named Kousika. One day, he was doing Vaedha Paaraayanam sitting under a tree.  A bird dropping fell on his head and he was immediately upset.  He looked up in disgust.  As soon as his fiery eyes met the bird perched atop the tree, it was reduced to ashes.  Kousika repented for his action and regretted his anger.  Feeling sorry for the bird, he left there and went into town for his BIKSHAA (unchavriththi) and stood in front of a house.  The lady of the house beckoned him to wait alittle bit.  Then her husband came home and she spent some considerable time attending to him.  Remembering that the brahmin was waiting outside, she  went out to him with some food.  Sensing his disappointment and anger for having had to wait, she politely apologised for the delay, but eexplained that her husband was her first priority.  Thus the delay.  She added acidly, "I am no bird.  If you desire any further explanation,  maybe you would like to visit with Dhharmavyaadhha at Mithhilaapuri."

Wondering how she knew about the bird, Kaushika went to  Mythhila and saw this young Dhharmavyaadhha sitting in his shop busy selling meat.  Seeing the brahmin, the youngster  went to Kousika and respectfully offered his namaskaarams and suggested that they go home and talk about the bird anfd the lady.  The brahmin was immensely surprised that the youngster was already aware of the purpose of his visit.  The host further informed that his family business put him in the meat trade, but  he duly performed his duty to his parents by taking care of them with great care and affection. As  they reached home, which was a well furnished palatial place,  the guest was invited to meet the parents of Dhharmavyaadhha who were seated comfortably, appearing happy and  peaceful.

By way of explaing the paramount  importance of doing one's own duty,  Dhharmavyaadhha says:

Pithaa maathaa cha Bhagavan aethou math dhaivatham param

Yath dhaevathaebhhyah karthavyam thath aethaabhhyaam karomi aham.

“My father and mother are my ultimate gods.  I perform to them those poojaas that are done to the Gods.

Dhharmavyaadhha was a meat seller from a low caste,  but due to his strict observance of affectionate and dedicated service to parents, he occupied a high spiritual pedestal and ended up being a teacher to the learned Brahmin.

Our Vaedhas and Shaasthras put Mothers, Fathers and Gurus (in thatorder) at the topmost in the hierarchy for our prayers and duty.  Let us respectfully learn from the story of Lord Raama, the embodiment of all virtues:

 Sree Vaalmeeki Raamaayanam, Ayodhhyaa Kaandam, 2.19.22, 21.36,21.41

“There is no virtue higher than service to one’s father and obedience to his commands.  “No evil can come to thosewho obey the behests of their father“

“Virtue reigns supreme.  To obey the commands of the father is only in consonance with the laws of Virtue…..…”

2.111.2    Vasishtta to Raama:  Mother, Father and the Teacher are the three Gurus for all.

2.111.9    Raama to Vasishtta: Considering what have all been done by mothers and father (in raising us),

it is hardly possible for the sons and daughters EVER to repay adequately by service to parents during their old age.

Perhaps the best known story that relates to “following father’s command” is Raamaayanam.

PITHRU VAAKHYA PARIPAALANAM.  What is so distinguishing in this case is that the son sets out to do what the father is supposed to have commanded, though the father  never really did so.  Dasharathha had given two boons to Kaikaeyee  and she was just cashing in on them.  The son just would not put his father in a position as to have to renege on his promise, whatever the price.  SON’S DUTY TO FATHER!!!

Kaikaeyee to Raama: “On a previous occasion, during a war between Daevas and asuras, your father had given me two boons.  Now, I have accordingly asked fortwo of my wishes to be carried out which involve you too. Naturally he should keepup his words; but after hearing me, he is in two minds and this great king behaves like  a weakling.  Whatever happens to be my desire,if you promise to make your father compliant, then I will tell you further about it.

 Raama to Kaikaeyee:  Aham hi vachanaath raagnyah pathaeyamapi paavakae.

Bhhakshayaeyam visham theekshnam majjaeyam api chaarnavae

“If it were  (my father) Chakravarthi’s command, I will jump into fire or drink vicious poison or drown in a sea. Oh mother, how can you doubt this?”

 Kaikaeyee to Raama: Based on his promise to me, I have requested that you be sent to Dhandakaaranya forest for fourteen years and that Bhharatha be installed onthe throne of Ayodhhya.  The emperor is worried about it.  Just to enable him to keep up his words to me, you should go to the forest for fourteen years and  let Bharatha be installed on the throne.

Due to his overwhelming affection for you, he will not be able to tell you this directly.  But I know you would not want your father to fail in keeping up his word (to me)”.

This conversation took place in the presence of King Dasharathha but he did not say a word.  He was in a catch22 state, in a stance, damned either way.  He would have to go back on his promise or ask Raama to go to forest!!! What a choice!!!

How did Raama reply?

Raama to Kaikaeyee: “So will it be.  I will immediately go to the forest.  Do I even need to confirm that I will obey whatever be my father’s orders?

The rest of the story is ths story everybody knows.  The world over.

Sree Raama was none other than Lord Naaraayana Himself.  If it was absolutely essential for Him to carry out his father’s  IMPLIED orders, what can we say about the duty of mere mortals like all of us?

On this Father's day, may we invoke Sri Raama's blessings for the benefit of all fathers, mothers and children and for the beings in the entire universe.

May we chant the Thaaraka naama as many times and as frequently aswe can.

Dhaasan,

Krishna  M.

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia