You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00004 Feb 2004

Dear Sri Srinivasa Rajan,

Your question is not really valid, because is not born a SriVai:shnava, one
becomes one through the sacrament of panchasamska:ram of sama:sra:yanam. It
is the formal commitment to the psychological and emotional awakening to be
under the complete care of Sri:man Na:ra:yana through the lotus feet of an
a:cha:rya, and to live a purposeful life in service to Him and His world.
Consequently, it has nothing to do with one's birth, caste, creed, or
gender; it is only the interest in the heart and mind to be good and do good
that matters.

With regards to Sri: Yoganarasimha, I have not learnt the reason for his
Yo:gic posture, but can only theorize, based on other things that I have
learned, that His performance of Yo:ga is intended to serve as an example
that the ancient wisdom of the Sa:stras are to followed by everyone.
Consequently, to obtain or contain His Immense Energy for the purposes of
using it to heal and protect His Devotees, He performs the appropriate
tapas.

I hope this helps.

Ramanuja dasan
Mohan