You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00019 Feb 2004

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear SriMahaVishnu,
I envy your name and your clarity of thought process
as well :-) With my maNdUka knowledge,I can feel that you have the
right perspective of TK sampradAyam. I feel that chanting mUla
manthram umpteen number of times defies TK sampradAyam completely and
also violates srI vacana bhUShaNam to the core if one gives stress to
and the benefits of the chanting as a ritual. When I read your
mails,my thoughts get sharpened and tuned. I miss your personal
mails. Once in a while,please send mails loaded with bhagavad
knowledge. Only a bhAgavatha like you can uplift souls like me with
viparIta j~nAnam.

AzhvAr emperumAnAr jIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Vishnu" <vsmvishnu@xxxx> wrote:
> Respected Sriman Mohan,
>
> There is no doubt that we all give utmost importance to mUla mantra
> (ashtAksharI). I am trying to understand why many AchAryas do not
> prescribe japam of the mantra.
>
> I was just suggesting in my first mail to chant it once during
> guruparamparA dhyAnam. Once can chant it umpteen times without
> anga/kara nyAsam and attaching any importance to such chant.
>
> Ritualizing the chant of the mantra and expecting spiritual
benefits
> out of it goes against the very meaning of the mantra as given by
> AchArya ParASara Bhattar. This leads to conflict between gnAna and
> anushtAna. Hence many AchAryas do not prescribe it as a spiritual
> practice.
>
> Certainly the mantra needs to be meditated upon (thought over) but
> not the way gAyatrI/harE krshNa are chanted even without counting
the
> number. Such meditation can be meaningful and complete only in
terms
> of the meaning of the mantra.
>
> The anushtAna of the meaning of the mantra is simple which involves
> faith that He is my means and goal and wishing serviceability to
Him.
> AlwArs interpret such serviceability to the extent of being
> serviceable to His devotees. Thus trying to adhere to the meaning
of
> the mantra brings in samskAra in the devotee which may even
influence
> one's material lifestyle. Hence the importance is for mantrArtha or
> meaning of the mantra but not for the mantra (in a ritualisitc way).
>
> adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
> Vishnu

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia