You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00055 Feb 2004

Dear Bhaktargal

we really need to start paying more attention to spelling as well as the
pronounciation of Sanskrit names and terms. Unfortunately Tamil is the
corrupting influence because of the lack of aspirated and hard consonants.
For example: INDRA in Sanskrit is written as Indhira, Indira, Intra, Inthra,
Intira, Inthira in Tamil. RUDRA is written as Ruthira, Ruthra, Rutra,
Rutira, etc. etc. All our sampradaya terms are dealt with in the same
lackadaisical method

This is very confusing as well as annoying showing a lack of attention to
detail. Kumbhakarna intended to ask for IndrAsana but said NidrAsana instead
and got a different result.

Some pronunciations by Tamil speaking pandits can also be hillariously
funny:- I have heard on numerous occasions pandits saying "dArA phalam"
instead of "tArA-balam"!! TArA-balam means the "strength of a certain
contellation - dArA-phalam means "the fruit of a wife".

Tamil speakers need to be made aware of these problems and to be encouraged
to attend a few elementary classes in Sanskrit pronunciation.

Adiyen

Sriram

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia