You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00063 Feb 2004

Dear Sri Venkatesan,
Kindly clarify whether the life incident of bhattar is quoted as an
injunction to TK VaishNavas for the non-performance of sandhya?
Regular performance of nityakarmas are typically ordained by dharma
sUtras of one's vedic affiliation (it may appear in grhya sutras in
some cases; smrti digests elaborate the dharma sUtras).

>From my limited understanding rAmAnujAchArya never attempted to
tamper the dharma sUtras, veda pramANas and the associated
paraphernalia (and even sanctions sacrifice of goat in the context
of yAgas in his gIta bhAshya).

If I am right, the ashtAdasha bheda nirNaya discusses about
nithyakarmas - "whether an evolved sould will go to hell if he
doesn't perform them": yes -> vadakalai; no -> thenkalai, however
the evolved soul should continue to do them as an example for others.
This is a non question for unevolved souls!

Accept my apologies if I've commited any mistakes or was offensive.

Regards,
Kasturi Rangan