You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Feb 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00134 Feb 2004

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "amshuman_k" <amshuman_k@xxxx> wrote:
> Dear Vishnu & bhAgavatas,
> I'll clarify something explicitly, which was always implicit in my
>
> #1. I never claimed gaudias belong to some 'inferior sampradAyam'
> than us, because they foresake vedic chanting and vedic rituals.

Dear Kasturi Rangan,

> #2. I never claimed that 'somehow being affiliated with vedas/vedic
> practices/vedic rishis' is quintessential to attain mOksha.

Nice to know that.

> It is a matter of definiton - There may be other valid ways to
attain
> mOksha, but the point I was making was, you cannot call yourself a
> srI vaishNava brAhman and yet foresake vedic practices.

We have neither forsaken fully nor asked anyone to forsake. At the
same time, we have no goal to call ourselves SrIvasihNava brAhmaNas
by doing certian practices expected you. Hope you have limited the
point you were making to emails. In real life, majority of the people
have already forsaken the practices you expect due to non-religious
reasons.

> Our
> pUrvAchAryas did not ignore them and some have even performed
> srauta
> sacrifices like agnishToma.

At least I was not referring to so many vEdic practices, ignored or
adhered to by our AchAryas. I was focussing only on rituals, taking
sandhyAvandanam as an example. Not all vEdic practices are rituals.
Also not all rituals are vEdic.

> That bhagavAn is a karuNAmUrti and he will forgive you for your
> sins
> is a different issue.

Agreed it is a different issue.

>(Are you accepting that this is a sin after
> all :-) ?)

Please read my previous mail.

rAmAnuja dAsan
Vishnu