You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jan 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00099 Jan 2003

Jan 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Dear Sri Vanamalai Padmanabhan Swamin,
I agree that the following apercu given by you
reflects, by and lage, my humble opinion:
Quote.
"I hasten to add that before i react, I require the
following
clarifications/whether my understanding of your post
is correct.
My understanding is as follows.
i. AzhwAr's have tacitly approved dhevatantara
bhajana whereas
pUrvAchAryas have toed an orthodox line
ii. pUrvachAryas have toed the orthodox line -which
are inferred from
some interpretations which may give room for multiple
interpretations-due to time difference between
Azhwar-sand AchAryas
iii.God is omnipresent and hence other deities can be
worshipped. After
all this also tantamounts to nArAyanA worship?
iv.piLLai perumAL iyengar is a vEra vaishNavite."
Unquote.
I am grateful that you are in agreement with my
spelling of the Sanskrit word "devatantara". The word,
used mainly by Sri Vaishnava Acharyas, has been
frequently spelt as "devatandhara" and even
"devadhandhara", in phonetically sympathy with Tamil
speech. To point this out may be visceral, but there
is no harm in submitting one's notion of correct
spelling. Sriman Thirumanujanam Swamy pointed out my
mistake in rendering "Kan'n'inun" as "Kan'n'inum" and
what he considered as mistake of many in rendering
"mannulagam" as "man'n'ulagam".
Sri T.A.Krishnamacharya, the octogenarian doyen of
scholars at Tirupati, once told me that he mentioned
to Sri PBA Swamy of a scholar's pronunciation of the
word "syandana"[chariot] in Sri Varadaraja Panchasat
of Sri Desika as "syandhana"[cot]. Sri PBA Swamy
humourously replied that since Sri Varadraja temple
was not as rich as Tirupati, that scholar perhaps
wanted to strengthen it by preferring guttural to
velar sound. Sri PBA Swamy himself referred once to a
scholar using "khidyate"[becomes sad] to
"vidyate"[becomes known], because in Grantha script,
the letters, v and kh, look similar.He also pointed
out that Sri Brahmatantra Swatantra Peria Parakala
Swamy, in his Tiruppavai commentary, rendered "ven'pal
tavattavar" in 14th Pasuram as "vambu atra attavar",
probably going by sound of recitation, not knowing
Tamil as well as he did Kannada.
Adiyen,TCASrinivasaramanujan

=== message truncated ===

=====