You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Jun 2002

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00052 Jun 2002

Jun 2002 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Srimathi Vaidhehi Wrote:

I have heard that "pancha sUktam" comes
in all the four
vEdAs. Also people say vEdAs are ApouruSEya. Is there
any parallel
connection between this and the "puruSa sUktam"? My
question is
what's the connection between puruSa in apouruSEya and
the puruSa in
puruSa sUktam? What does "puruSa" appearing in two
places refer to?
Can you highlight on this?

Can you tell the meaning of pAsurams 36
and 57 of URM
(UPadEsa RaththinamAlai)? In fact I will be very happy
if someone
writes on entire URM. Though I understand a good
tamizh,I should not
terpret the meanings. If you have learnt URM(with
vyAkhyAnams)
under an AchAryA,I request you to post as and when
time permits you.

Unquote:

It is not Pancha suktam which is in all the 4 vedas.
It is only Purusha Suktam which is available in Rig,
yajur and sama vedas.

When we say Purusha suktam as 'apouruSEya', what we
mean is
The Purusha suktam is unauthored by any person.

apouruSEya lieterally mean something that is not
authored.(unauthored, ONLY from the mouth of the Lord)
(It is nice to remember Kaliyan's words(Kaligalum ,
vedamum, needhi noolum, Karpamum, sorporul thanun...
neermayinal arulseithu), Here Kaliyan talks of
Gynapiran as one who has showered to this worold,
Vedas, and other angaas of Vedas out of compassion to
the human kind.)

It is also clear from the verses of Purusha Suktam ,
that Purusha is none other than the Lakshmipathi,
Sriman Narayana.. (refer verses starting
'Hreeshchate Lakshmi... ')

The words 'Desikar' in verse 36 and 57 does not refer
to Swami Desikan. If someone says so, he needs to
recaliberate his Tamil grammer. It is used not as a
proper noun. It is rather used as a common noun. The
rough meaning of word 'Desika' is 'great and saintly
person'

Even in yathiraja Vimsathi, Swami MM uses words
'Desika', as 'Vachamagochara Mahaguna Desikagriya,
Koorathinatha....' while referring to Acharyas like
Swami Koorathalwan.

Thanks
Regards
KM Narayanan