You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00072 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Shrimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Dear Sri Nappinnai:

1:
> I don't have time and hence utter "srirAma...varAnanE".
This is a major misconception. Most of us are told to chant the
entire "Srirama... varAnanE", while, this is actually a conversation
between Siva-Parvati. Sivaperuman tells parvati to recite the "Rama"
namam and that is what this statement is. So, the gist is to say
the "Rama" namam but not to recite the entire conversation.

2:
> Not everybody is fortunate to have the right/perfect AcArya
> to learn prabandham or other works. First of all where do you draw
> a line for "learned" scholar? Who do you think in mind when you say
> learned scholars?
Learned scholars are those who have been practising the recitation of
the Nalayira Divya Prabandham and who have been teaching others. We
could find 1000s of them in various Divyadesams and other places in
the south India.

3:
> Moreover people have their own problems. I, coming from AcArya
> puruSha family, can learn from my own father. But he doesn't have a
> computer at home and he doesn't like to go to browsing centres,
> prefers "proper" letter writing. If it is over the phone he
> complains that he is not able to hear my voice clearly. I, being a
> student, can not afford to listen to each and every upanyasams plus
> I stay with roommates which causes lot of problems wrt phone line.
> So what do you want me to do in such cases? Would you advise me
> that I should drop the idea of learning about our sampradayam and
> wait?
There are always options and we need to seek one. I would say, if one
knows tamil, one can buy the prabandha book and read the same instead
of reciting it wrong. Or, there are hundreds of cassettes released
every month on the nalayira divya prabandha recitations that one
could buy and listen to.

4:
>I had learnt koil tiruvAymozhi and some other azhvars
> pasurams from a person who sings prabandham in a raaga based which
> is not similar to the usual style of chanting that I have heard in
> TiruallikkENi. Would you say that it is wrong?
I never commented about the style of recitation. To be honest, the
style that is being practised is wayyyyy different from what Swami
Nadhamunigal devised. The Prabandha Goshti is only for the outside
people and was devised only for the Thiruveedhi Purappadu(I don't
know how to say this in English:). Periya Perumal(Shri Rangam
Moolavar) listens only to the Araiyar Sevai i.e a style of recitation
that is based on what Swami Nadhamunigal devised - a style that
combines a subtle dance by the araiyar swami and a musical
recitation. The araiyar swami has a thalakkattu in his hand and he
maintains the rhythm as he sings the Divya Prabandham. Swami
Nadhamunigal identified different ragams and the thalams for all the
4000 divya prabandhams based on the analysis of the moods and tones
and the context of the prabandhams by the azhwars. Even in Shri
Villiputthur, the prabandha goshti is only outside the Temple. Inside
the temple, it is always the Araiyar Sevai. So, singing the
prabandhams in different ragas, is something that was never
questioned by any one till date, as far as I know.

5:
> As long as he chants alone and making some
> mistakes,that's okay and that also will get rectified over a period
> of time. Anyways PerumAL had been listening to some incorrect
> renderings of Sri Soundararajan before we all replied. I'm pretty
> sure that He would have enjoyed and I'm infinitely confident that
> AzhvArs and the Lord will direct him in the right path.
This is what I differ from. I never said lord would not enjoy the
wrong recitations. I only said that we should not be sloppy on this.
If we know for sure we are reciting wrong, we should try to correct
it ASAP - Is all I wanted to say. And my point was that "Engane
sollilnum inbam payakkume" should not be used in this context.

Yatheendra Pravanam Vandhe RAMYA Jaamaataram Munim

Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan,
Lakshmi Narasimhan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia