You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Mar 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00074 Mar 2003

Mar 2003 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri:
Srimathe Ramanujaya nama:
Dear Sriman Lakshmi Narasimhan,
With respect to "srirAma...varAnanE",it doesn't matter
whether I recite the entire two lines/conversation(I'm invoking the
name Srirama thrice) or just say "Srirama" thrice,because Srirama(one
who delights the mind)name is equivalent/comparable(thulyam) to
chanting sahasra nAma. That is the meaning of "Ishvara uvAca". This
is like "prapatti" a short cut rather than the circuitous and arduous
bhakthi yOga. Nobody denies the fact that it will be much more
delightful to the mind when one knows the hidden philosophical
meanings and chants with perfection. Since I have been interacting
with Sri Soundararajan for quite sometime and since(due to the desire
to chant and for the Lord)he wanted to correct himeslf,he threw the
question in the list otherwise he would not have. Your post seemed a
bit negative(discouraging tone)and you had also mentioned that women
and sudras were not supposed to recite anything of this sort(kO
Dharma: sarvaDharmAnAm bhavatha: paramO matha: | kim japan muchyathE
janthur(all beings) janma samsAra banDhanAth ||)and hence I replied.
Hope this clarifies.
AzhvAr EmperumAnAr JIyar thiruvadigaLE sharaNam
NC Nappinnai

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia
ramanuja-subscribe@yahoogroups.com