You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2001

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00045 Nov 2001

srimatE rAmAnujAya nama:

Dear Athma bhandUs:

We all know that bhAgavatha apacharam is one of the worst things that
a SriVaishnava can do - even worse than bhagavad apachAram. although
everyone almost unanimously agree this in principle, the details such
as who is considered a bhAgavatha and what all are covered in
"apacharam" are very subtle. What I am seeking is an in-depth
analysis, with iluustrations and examples, as what constitutes
apacharam . This is not just an academic question. The reason I am
asking this is because, in our daily lives, we come across these
situations and find ourselves in dilemma as to what should be done
under certain circumstances.

I will just give an example(I request you to remember that this is
just an example!).

Sriman X invites some bhagavathas to his home for a
thadeeyArAdhanai. Sriman X is very orthodox and sincerely follows
some AchArams according to the tradition in which he has been brought
up, certain rules w.r.t his Perumal sannidhi and preparing the
offerings for Perumal and ParivAram. But one of the invited
bhAgavatha, Sriman Y, born and brought up in a totally different
enviroment, happens to violate or about to violate this AchAram.
Should Sriman X tell Sriman Y not to do that ? And assuming Sriman X
does tell Sriman Y and Sriman Y does not feel good about it , what
should Sriman X do? Apologize for having been sincere in following
the AchAram w.r.t Perumal and thereby allow chance for such a thing
to happen again or do not apologize and give chance for bhAgavatha
apachAram???

I look for some thoughts on such situations and other general rules
of thumb to serve as guide in every day situations like this and
other such circumstances...

azhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyAr thiruvadigalE saranam

rAmAnuja dAsi