You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2004

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00137 Nov 2004

sri:

One of the things that has been really bothering me personally is the food
habits of the SriVaishnavas.
If we are really serious about our sampradsaya, we should ofcourse start with
the food habits. It is a given these days that people take Samashrayanam as
some kind of a "stamping process" which is due to them anyway, with scant
disregard for the expected habits.

Worse, for all our lack of control and "the pressure to blend",
some people even define egg to be vegetarian as it can't be "fertilized", and
they munch on cakes and pastry to glory.

Eating at places like Pizza Hut, eating Indian "Veg/Non-veg" restaurants
(never mind the utensils are mixed).... the list of avoidable things go on.....
Most of the people are even ignorant (or is it denial?) of the fact that the
cheese that we eat outside contains rennet that is taken from the stomach of a
calf after killing the helpless soul.

Samshryanam is a very important step, it is a step towards Vaikuntha, and it
should never be taken lightly. Food habits should be restricted and regulated,
no matter what. In my humble opiniont, even little compromise leads to
degenration.

We can take inspiration from the Hare Krishna devotees. ISKCON boasts of
devotees in Siberia as well as in Ghana who remain purely vegetarian, avoiding
things like Onion, Garlic, Mushrooms etc. If a person born in some foreign land
can follow the practices that were followed by our forefathers, it should be a
matter of shame if us Srivaishnavas can't. Also, their reverence to their gurus
and determination to follow the words of their AcharyAs is indeed laudable.

Adiyen,

Kidambi Soundararajan.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM