You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00016 Nov 2005

srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha
srImadh varavara munayE namaha

Dear Sri Vimalkumar,

Your questions are very valid, logical and practical. However I am
attempting to answer them to the extent I have learnt and
understood. I request all others to correct me wherever I am wrong.

1. You said "nirhetukA kripa means causeless mercy, that is when one
surrenders, it is totally because of the Lord that he does". This
itself is contradictory. You agree that it is causeless and also say
that it happens ONLY when one does the act of Surrender. Aren't
these contradictory as, when one does the act of surrender and He
accepts it, it becomes a cause.

2. To answer your questions on whether one can go to a masala movie
et al, the answer is No. But wait, nirhEtuka krupA means, He will
shower His grace even on people who do this without realising it. A
realised soul (Even here the realisation is due to Him as said by
nammAzhwAr ".....un manatthAl en
ninaindhirundhAi", ".....aRiyAkkAlathuL aDimaikkaN anbu seidhu"
etc), will never indulge in such activities. Rather, he will indulge
in activities like ".........therithezhudhi vAsitthum, kEttum,
vaNangi vazhipattum, poositthum, pOkinEn pOdhu".
One cannot, rather should not, be saying that he is going to a
masala movie because of His nirhEtuka krupa.

3. We are not doing all those movie watching etc, due to His
nirhEtuka krupA, but due to our ignorance. But due to His nirhEtuka
krupA, He forgives the sins of a soul, (actually, He even takes the
sins as His bhOgyam as per Sri aruLaLa perumAL emberumAnAr in his
gnyAna-sAram and pramEya-saram)and make it a realised one and take
it into His abode from where there is no return. THIS IS THE RIGHT
EXPLANATION OF NIRHETUKA KRUPA.

4. On the other hand, if we are to question that, whether such an
act on the part of emberumAn towards a soul, which is a sinner, is
not wrong and sends wrong signals to every one to indulge in
unlawful activites, the answer is no. Because He is the owner of the
soul and He has the ultimate right to do whatever He wants. We on
our part are only slaves and do not have the rights or authority to
question His act. Then where is the question? It is like this, if a
watch of ours is malfunctioning, we are at liberty to either rectify
it and use it again or just throw it. He we are the master and the
watch is a slave, & where is the question of the watch asking you,
why are you doing like this. This is the true swaroopam of a
prapannA, which is called pArathanthriyam. Likewise, our
PoorvAchAryAs have said that the true characteristic of a prapannA
is that he should be like the achit, that is the watch in the
analogy above.

I feel, I may have answered your question to the feeblest of my
knowledge. I request, once again, to correct me wherever I am wrong.

AzhwAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE saraNam
adiyEn rAmAnuja dAsan
Thirumalai Vinjamoor Venkatesh

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/.itolB/TM