You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Nov 2005

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00232 Nov 2005

SrI:
Dear Parthasarathi SwAmin,
                                        In the name of vishista-adwaitha, you have correctly described adwaitha (in pure form, it is called kEvala-adwaitha), the very philosophy SwAmi rAmAnuja defeated in debates..

Coming to the question, the concept of dwaitha was originally termed as "tattvavAdA". These are some of the philosophical tit-bits of the tattvavAda sampradayam:
1) Hari is supreme, he is real
2) We are individual souls, we are real
3) This material universe is real.
4) The five differences are real.  What are the differences??
      - Between God and Soul; between two souls; between the living and the non-living; between God and the non-living and finally, between two non-living objects. These differences together are called the "pancha-bhEda", meaning the five differences.
5) Moksham (salvation) is when the soul realizes the joys of its own nature
6) Moksham can be obtained only through bhakthi.

Sri Anandatheertha, who is also glorified as mAdhwAchArya, wrote commentaries on the BrahmasUtra based on the tattvavAdic philosophy.

Srivaishnavism is based on vishishta-adwAitha, (some scholars also call it, vishishtA-dwaitha), meaning there is a "special" relationship between God and Soul. First of all, God is the supreme being, who has all the auspicios gunAs (qualities), has a form (nArAyanA), both the living and the non-living are His attributes.

Sri Mukundan SwAmin's posting clearly explains the philosophical stand of the Srivaishnava philosophy, expounded by Sri rAmAnuja.

For all practical purposes, some of the differences between the Madhwa and Srivaishnava Philosophies are:

1) Nature of mukthi: THe madhwA explanation for moksham seems to be similar to what the SrivaishnavAs refer to as "kaivalya" (enjoying one's soul, as against serving bhagawAn in vaikunthA)
2) Demi-God worship: This is a major difference. The mAdhwAs have strong emphasis on demigod worship (understanding being they'd relieve a soul from the bad karmic reactions, in order to serve Lord Sriman nArAyanA better). For the SrivaishnavAs, the Lord's feet are the only refuge.
3) the gradation of the souls: mAdhwAs grade the living souls. For the Srivaishnavas, there is no difference between any two souls.
4) Casteism: MadhwA sampradayam is highly ritualistic. Very rarely do we see people of lower castes following mAdhwa sampradayam. Srisampradayam is universal (although kula-dharmam should be honored; for example brahmins should perform sandhya-vandanam, but it is just the duty, not the means to reach God), as shown by Sri rAmAnujar and SwAmi piLLai lOkAchAryan
5) MadhwAs stress on bhakti and human effort, whereas Srisampradayam focusses on prapatti and God's grace.

I would be grateful if the learned scholars can correct any of the wrongs in this post.

adiyEn dAsan,
kidAmbi soundararajan.

AzhwAr emperumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigaLE Saranam.

Parthasarathi BR <brp.sarathi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear Sri Raju
Dwaita by very meaning it is  two i,e jeewathma & Paramatma   No Question of it being one   andclearly it is two  ONLY
 But SriRamanujacharyas Vishta Advaitha says there is ONLY ONE i,e Paramatma  and  all jeewathma ultimately gets Ikkyam with Paramathma-- GETS Mingled

 An eg cud be Apple  fruit & its skin
 Can we say Apple fruit inside  is Different from its  outer skin-- NO
But at the same time Apple fruit & the skin are two BUT when U say apple U mean one only  BOTH its Skin & Fruit-- this is our Sampradayam

 I hope ADIYEN has tried to Explain a bit
Surely Respected members will thro more LIGHT
Adiyen Ramanuja Dasan BRParthasarathi
AANDAL THIRUVADIGALE SARANAM