You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00034 Oct 2003

srI:
srImathE rAmAnujAya namaha

Tiruppavai - Pasuram 1 : nAmA 6 : nArAyananE

maargazhith thingaL madhi niRaindha nannaaLaal*
neeraadap pOdhuveer pOdhuminO nErizhaiyeer*
seer malgum aayppaadic celvac ciRumeergaaL*
koorvER kodunthozhilan nandhagOpan kumaran*
Eraarndha kaNNi yasOdhai iLam singam*
kaar mEnic sengaN kadhir madhiyam pOl mugaththaan*
naaraayaNanE namakkE paRai tharuvaan*
paarOr pugazhap padindhElOr embaavaay.

In the first pasuram, AndAL glorifies the following nAmAs : 1. nandhagOpan
kumaran, 2. yasOdhai iLam singam, 3. kAr mEnian, 4. sengkannan, 5. kadhir madi
am pol mugathan, 6. nArAyananE

The sixth and last nAmA in pasuram 1 is "nArAyananE" - moksha pradathvam. HE
ONLY can confer moksham to the jIvAtmAs, which is liberation of jIvAtmA from
the karmAs and cycle of birth and death to perform nithya kaimkaryam in his
abode Srivaikuntam. Azhwar describes as "anthamil perinbam" (unending
happiness). The nAmA "nArAyanan" means ayanam (abode) for nArAs (all sentinent
and non-sentinents).

One can understand that "nArAyananE" (exclusion to other Gods) to confer
moksham. But, why AndAl says "namakkE" (only for us). We should take this as
"namakke" (even for us). Cowherds take bath once in a year (karthigaikku
karthigai), that too in the night and that too take bath for body without for
head. Today, we have taken bath that "nAt kalE neeradi" (early morning) and
have uttered his nAmA "nArAyanA" once, even though we are "arivonrum illatha
ayykulam".

Later in her pasuram, she mentions the lack of karma, gnyanam and bakthi as
"karavaigaL pin senru kAnam serndu unbOm". Lord Krishna has said in Bhagavad
Gita "You have obligation to perform your karmA, without exercising right for
its fruits". But, we go behind "karavaigaL" (cows which produce milk), so we
don't understand karma yoga. We "pin senru kAnam servOm" (go behind the cows to
the forest), so we don't even have the gnyanam of where the forest is and hence
don't perform gnyana yoga. Also, "kAnam serndu unbOm" (after reaching the
forest, we eat and don't take care of the cows), so we don't have any bakthi
also towards these cows. Hence, we are devoid of karma, gnyana, bakthi.

Lastly, there is difference between AndAl and other azhwars. Other azhwars hate
this samsAram and wants nitya kaimkaryam in his natural abode of Sri Vaikuntam.
As thondar adi podi azhwar "adalal piravi venden" (due to the samsAric
troubles, I don't want next birth), Swami Nammazhwar "koovi kollum kalam
kurugadhO" (request to call him to Paramapadham soonest) and even Periazhwar
says "pallandum paramAthmanai soozhndu irundu ethuvar" (will sing in
paramapadam eternally). However, AndAL, as bhoomi piratti has great compassion
for "vayyathu vaazhveergaL" (jIvAtmAs in her abode) says in the last pasuram
"engum thiru arul petru". We will have the opportunity to serve the Lord
eternally, whether here or in his eternal abode.

The next nAma 7 "pAr kadLul paiya thuyindra paraman", in pasuram 2, andAL
praises HIS quality of conferring "Bhogyatvam" (to be continued)

namO nArAyanA

G. Sundarrajan

Home Page
http://www.ibiblio.org/sripedia