You are here: SriPedia - Ramanuja - Archives - Oct 2003

Ramanuja List Archive: Message 00093 Oct 2003

Dear Sriman Sri Ram,
I have following observations on your note:
1. I do not think anybody is missing what you think is
the central point of discussion.With whatever little
understanding I have of our sampradaya, it is clear to
me that we hold that Narayana is the Vedic supreme and
Brahman of Vedanta is none other than Narayana. And
also Narayana is congruent to Vishnu and vice versa.
That is the position held by our Purvacharyas. And we
hold this as parama vaidika sampradayam. All other
references to contrary in vedic texts are reconciled
by our Acharyas in their inimitable style ( Refer to
chapter on Ishwara in Yateendra Matha Deepika ). Now
that is the position of our sampradayam.
2. We do not consider Shiva, Devi, Ganapathi as
different from Narayana in so far as Narayana is the
indweller of all.
3. If you imply this position of our sampradaya is
fundamentalist, then I am a fundamentalist and I do
not find anything wrong about believing in
fundamentals of our sampradayam.
4. We are monotheist in our practice. That is where
it ends. We do not go about fighting other systems on
everyday basis. At the same time we do not find any
reason to uphold the validity of other sampradayams as
our duty. I want to be a good srivaishnavite in the
way shown by our Acharyas.
5. In any case there more than enough people around
to uphold the validity of other schools. In my humble
opinion, it is more than sufficient for us to strive
to live upto tenets of our sampradayam.
6. No offence meant. I am not against honest
interrogation of one's own faith. But we should gaurd
against trying to draw too many conclusions about our
sampradayam with too little analysis.
7. Dasoham
adiyen
srinivasadasa