You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00105 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs of MahA Lakshmi:

In the 19th SlOkam , the Kavi states that even  mandha mathis
( dull-witted ones) are qualified to recite MahA Lakshmi's nAmAs
and derive benefits and MangaLams  therefrom :

Sruthi-paNithi-sTithi-smruthi-purANatathi-SravaNE
Bhagavathy mAdhrusAm jagathy na prathibhAthi gathi:
tadhapi Tava Thvadheeya -dayithasya cha nAma japa:
Bhavathi Kalou yugE jaDa-dhiyAmapi kAmadhugA

The key words of this slOkam are: " Bhagavathy ! MaadhruSAm jaDa-dhiyAmapi
Tava Thvadheeya-dhayitasya nAma japa: kalou yugE kaamadhugA bhavathy "

(Meaning): Oh Divine One ! In this Kali yugam , even for dull-witted ones like
us ,
the recitation of Your and Your Lord's names is like the Kaama dhEnu cow that
grants all desired wishes . There are no other ways for chEtanams like us
in this world ( MaadhruSAm jaDa dhiyO: anya gathi: na prathibhAthy )
except to recite Your nAma sahasrams .

The First Two Paadhams of this slOkam
Oh Bhagavathy !  For dullards like us , there are no means for upliftment
( Moksham) through listening to the wisdom housed in Smruthis and
PurANams; equally , there is no hope in using the route of veda vichAram
for our salvation . Our escape route is only the Japam of  the nAmAs
of Yours and Your Lord's.

The reasons for the unsuitability of listening to the Veda-smruthi-
purANams for the Jada Mathis are described under four categories:

1) There are a huge number of Vedams , Smruthis and PurANams.
Their sheer number can stagger even a brilliant scholar . If that were
to be so , You can imagine our problems as  the dull witted ones
in tackling them for our salvation. Veda VichAram and VedAntha
tatthva vichAram ( inquiry) is beyond our limited intellect.
When we attempt such inquiries  we are easily confused
about the true meanings and the passages look contradictory
(Samsaya-viparyayangaL). We do not have the analytical skills
to establish which paksham (side of the argument) is correct
( PrAbhalyam ) and which side is weak ( dhourbhalyam). Things
are much over our heads .Therefore we resort to the easier way
(viz)., Your nAma sankeerthanam.

2) When we listen to the various stories in the different PurANams ,
we are very discouraged. The aparAdhams of SisupAlan in insulting
BhagavAn , RaavaNA' s dhushkruthyams in stealing SithA PirAtti ,
HiraNyakasipu's daring challenge to the Lord  remind us of our
many deficiences like Bhagavath-BhAgavatha apachArams
and make us realize that the PurANa paDanam(reading)
route is not the appropriate route  for us . Therefore , we resort to
the recitation of Your naamAs as a sure cure for the samsAric
illness .

3) Gathi here is Sathgathi or Srivaikuntam ( parama Padham).
It can not be gained by recitation of the Vedams, studying Saasthrams
or by superior intellect . These are not the recommedned routes .
It has to be understood that Sathgathi is attainable even by dull-witted
ones . Delighting the Lord through the sankeerthanam of His consort's
nAmAs is the sure route to gain this siddhi. Vedam , Smruthi and PurANam
remind us of this fundamental truth.

4) Gathy means inclination and movement . Our leanings are not
towards the study of the Vedams and Saasthrams .We are not blaming
them for their deficencies . Our mind gravitates to Devi Naama Japam .
They say "lOkO bhinna ruchi: " . People have different likes . Our ruchi is
for nAma japam and not for the Vedic studies or PurANa PaDanam.

Second Half ( 3rd and the 4th Paadhams) of this slOkam
" asmAkam Tava Thvadheeya dhayithasya nAma Japa: kAmadhugA "
For us of weak intellect , the sankeeerthanam of Your and Your Lord's
nAmAs  is like being blessed with the divine , wish-granting Kaama dhEnu .
Oh Bhagavathy ! Your nAma japam is the veritable KaamadhEnu for us .
Even a MahAn like Sage Vasishtar had such a Kaama dhEnu.

Additional Reasons for sathgathy through Naama Japam
Even a Jada Mathy can perform the japam of the name "Janani "
and gain Sathgathy.

Naama PaarAyaNam of Her name will bless us with
all unexpected fortunes (adhrushtam).

Even pEthais ( pitiable ones ) can gain "pERu" ( high stats)
through japam of PerumdEvi's nAmAs.

Even mandha buddhis can delight from the recitation of
the names of the Lotus Lady .

Uniqueness of Naama Japam in Kali Yugam
In Kali Yugam , One can attain salvation from Naama Sankeerthanam
alone just as through Tapas in Krutha yugam , Yaj~nams in thrEthA yugam ,
Bhagavath AarAdhanam in DhwApara yugam . This is what Kali santharaNa
Upanishad teaches us.

Why does the Kavi use the long phrase of " Sruthi-phaNithi-sTithi-smruthi"
instead of the shorter version of the same as "Sruthy-Smruthy )?

There are three reasons for this elaborate usage:

1) Vedam (Sruthy)  has to be "mukhastham" : transmission from
the AchAryan to the sishyan aurally. The svarams have to be protected
this way . That is why the extended word group of " Sruthi-phaNithi-
sTithi " is used . This sTithi relates only to Sruthi ( Vedams).
In contrast , Smruthi and PurANams can be read from the books
(written Texts).

2) All smruthis and PurANams do not have the status of PramANams
(accepted Valid knowledge). Only those rooted in the Vedams are
recognized thru the word group: " Sruthi phaNithi sTithi , smruthi
purANatathi sravaNE ".

3) It is acceptable to recite Veda Manthrams without knowing their
meanings. The only inviolate rule is that the svarams of the Veda
mantrams are not to be altered. This is what is indicated by the choice of
the word group: " Sruthi phaNithi sTithi ". Such a requirement is not present
in the case of Smruthis and PurANams . word juxtaposition can not be alteered
in Sruthi ; In smruthi and PurANams however, word sannivEsam can be altered ,
while keeping the meaning in tact . These give rise to the different
Paada bhEthams (variations in the Texts) in the case of Smruthis
and PurANams .

The Poetic finesse in this slOkam
The beauty of the sentence construction with the ending of "thi" .
In the first paadham :  5 words end with "thi" : Sruthi , PhaNithi ,
sTithi , smruthi , purANatathi ".

In the second paadham again there are 5 words ending with "thi":
" Bhagavathi , Jagathi , prathi-bhAthi , gathi".

All these lilting sounds have a very plesant ring to them as we recite
this slOkam .

Sri PadhmAvathy SamEtha Sri SrinivAsa ParabrahmaNE nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links