You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Apr 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00107 Apr 2006

Apr 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear BhakthAs of MahA Lakshmi:

In the 23rd slOkam of Naama Vaibhava StaBakam  , the poet states that
MahA Lakshmi's nAmes , which are small in size but have the immense
power to destroy our gigantic bundles of Sins:

anjath-panchasha-varNam arNavasuthE ThvannAma karNAmrutham
math-pApAni mahattharANyapi muhur-mushNAthy KrishNAnganE
aksheeNi prathirundhath andhatamasam gEhEshu bhUyishDAmapi
angushta-pramithaiva dheepa-kalikA haa hantha nO hanthy kim

arNava suthE = Oh Daughter of the Ocean !
KrishNAnganE = Oh wife of KrishNa BhagavAn !
anjath-panchasha-varNam =  having the assembly of just 5 or 6 letters
karNAmrutham = and acting as a nectar to the ears
ThvannAma = Your NaamAs
mahattharANi  math pApAni api muhu: mushNAthy = steal away (eat up)
the huge sized bundles of sins of mine effortlessly and frequently .

Haa hanttha ! = what a surprise(mystery) ?
gEhEshu bhUyishtam andhatamasamapi =even the dense darkness in the house
angushta pramithA yEva dheepa kalikA nO hanthy kim ? = is destroyed by the
thumb-sized ,
lit (little) lamp . The radiance from that little lamp spreads everywhere and
detroys
the huge enveloping darkness in the house inspite of the fact that the lamp is
small sized .

Your nAmAs are small sized (made up of 5 or 6 letters) like HarivallabhA ,
Kamalaa ,
arNava suthA . In contrast to the small size of Your naamAs , my bundles of
sins are
huge. Inspite of their small size , Your nAmAs destroy my huge bundles of sins.
When
adiyEn thinks about this power of Your nAmAs , it fills me with a sense of
wonder.
Can an ant chase away an elephant ? can one use a blade of grass as boat to
cross the ocean?
Can one use a soft bud to crack a piece of granite ? Can a piece of thorn
succeed in pulverizing
a bar of iron ? They can not and it is understandable that small entities can
not take on
successfully a mighty object . In the case of Your nAmAs made up of very few
letters
take on howevewr the huge accumulation of my sins and destroy them . This
action
takes place quite often . It is not a once in a while thing( one day wonder) .

Math pApAni mahattharANi : My offenses ( insufferable apachArams , deceptions,
cheatings
and trespasses against Bhagavath sAsthrams) are huge and are growing forever .
Your nAmAs
destroy them again and again. What takes mighty long Prayascchitthams
( SaandhrAyaNa vratham PrAjApathya krucchiram) to do , Your short nAmAs
destroy these huge bundles of sins quickly and often .

The situation is similar to the radiance from a small lamp that spreads
over the entire room and destroys the surrounding darkness .

There are plenty of PrAsams in this slOkam as well:" anjath-Pancha ,
varNam-arNava , MushNAthi KrishNA , rundha-dandha , BhUyishtam-angushta ,
hantha-hanthy et al.These prAsams have a pleasing effect on the listener's
ears.

SlOkam 23
**************
avithum udhadhi kanyakE achikithsyAth
maraNa jarAdhi mayaath mahAmayAnmAm
paramavishamam Antaram kashAyam
pachathy Suchir bhavadheeya nAmavarga:

(Meaning): adiyEn has  a deadly disease . It has the name of samsAra rhOgam
and has the constituents of old age , death et al.For saving me from that
disease,
adiyEn has to make a curative concoction ( KashAyam). That act is performed by
Your nAmAs. Your namaas are the fire to cook that kashAyam to the perfect state
for curing my illness.

KashAyam has two meanings here:(1) The syrup that the doctor gives . It is
prepared by
the slow evaporation of the solution containing the active ingredient with a
huge amount of
water. KashAyam also means desire , udhvEgam( excitement) and other rAgams and
blemishes
of the mind . The assembly of Your nAmAs is like the fire that condenses the
potion and
forms the essence( kashAyam )to destroy my samsAric disease. " kAshAyam
pachathy " refers
to the destructive evaporation of the disease causing blemishes of the mind. To
secure a clean mind ,
the route to travel is the recitation of our Mother's divine naamAs.

The summarizing Tamil Paasuram by Sri KaNNan Swamy is:

Kadum nOyai kazhippathaRkku
KaashAyatthai kaaycchuhinRa
kanalukku samamAhum
KadaRkkani nAmangaL

For preparing the kaashAyam for dispensing with the fierce bhava rhOgam ,
the fire used is the nAmAs of the daughter of the Ocean .

SlOkam 25
****************
kruthaSubhatathy dhAritham kruthArTai:
Bhagavathy  bhOgyamatheeva pAvanam cha
abhidhadhathy suvarNamAthmavantha:
prasamitha-dhurgathy nAma thAvakeenam

(Meaning): Bhagavathy Lakshmi ! Your nAmAs are like the exalted metal gold ,
which is used in all auspicious occasions . Here are six instances , where
there is
similarity between Lakshmi's nAmAs and coveted gold ;

1) Both Lakshmi's nAmAs and the Gold generate rows of MangaLams. Auspicious
rites like vivAham take place with gold; similarly , auspicousness arise from
the sankeerthanam of Lakshmi's nAmAs.

2) Both MahA Lakshmi's nAmAs and the gold are adorned by the kruthArTAs
( BhAgyasAlis).

3) Both are bhOgyam ( most enjoyable). MahA Lakshmi's nAmAs are sweet
for the mind and the tongue to taste; Gold is similarly enjoyable to adorn and
celebrate.

4) Both are known for their purity ( Parisuddham). ThirunAmams of MahA Lakshmi
cleanses one's speech and mind. Gold is svatha-suddham .it does not need any
cleansing agent like tamirand , clay etc to bring out its lustre.

5) Both are SuvarNam: VarNam means letter or an alphabet . Since MahA Lakshmi's
nAmAs
are constitued by auspicious letters , they are SuvarNam or SvarNam. Gold has
the alternate
name( paryAya sabdham) of SvarNam.

6) Both destroy misfortunes. Gold removes poverty . The sankeerthanam of
Bhagavathy's
nAmAs destroy poverty forever  .

The double meaning for svarNam fits well thus for MahA Lakshmi's names and
the noble metal gold .

For realizing sObhana paramparAvApthy ( lineage of auspicious progeny) ,
one should name the girl children with MahA Lakshmi's NaamAs. Those who
follow this tradition are the fortunate ones. Those who recite Her nAmAs will
not
go anywhere near narakam. Such is the power of Her nAmAs.

Sri PadhmAvathy SamEtha Sri SrinivAsa ParabrahmaNE nama:
Daasan , Oppiliappan KOil VaradAchAri Sadagopan

Yahoo! Groups Links