You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00013 Sep 2006

Sep 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

TIRU ANBIL DWAJASTHAMBAM KAINKARYAM
TRIP  TO INDIA FROM 05/192006 to 08/27/2006 - PART1
Dear Bhagavatas:

I left Atlanta, U.S.A. (with my son and his family) on 19th May 2006 and
returned on
27th August 2006. A number of you have been asking me to write on the events
in India during this period. I am, therefore, offering some rambling of the
salient events from the scribbling in my diary in the hope that you may not
find my personal observations, too boring!

The stress and strain involved in the hectic trip and the incessant
activities in India at my advanced age had taken a heavy toll on my health
as never before. At first, I thought that it was just jetlag. But no. It was
more than that. Dizziness that would not go away; sleep that would not come
easily by, inexplicable aversion to food coupled with nausea etc. have
literally immobilized me for a whole week. That?s why I could not post the
promised travelogue. Even now, I have not fully recovered.

On the other hand, the onward journey from U.S.A. to India was totally
?jetlag-free?. May be, the prospect of ?going home? had infused in me a
psychological stamina! In fact, during my frequent trips in the last 3 or 4
years, people in India used to joke how right from the moment of landing in
India, I used to be on my feet, up and going places without a break!

This time was no exception because several events kept me busy and restless,
like -attending a couple of weddings, Sathabhishekam of a friend and
relative, delivering Pravachanams on invitation, in Chennai, Hyderabad,
Pondicherry, Srirangam, Ulundurpet etc., besides the usual rounds of visits
to Divyadesams and Abhimana Kshetrams. The crowning piece, however, was the
personal involvement from Day One to the final dénouement in the
?Dwajasthamba Kainkaryam? of Tiru Anbil Sundararaja PerumaaL Koil which
Asmad Achaaryan had commanded me to undertake. In the midst of such crowded
programs, however, I had to compulsorily take a little off now and then for
several ?sittings? for dental treatment and surgeries for ?Sebaceous Cysts?
etc.!

The Onward journey was on 19th May 2006 from Atlanta to JFK by Delta
Airlines and from JFK- Dubai ? Chennai by Emirates Airlines and arrived in
Chennai on 21st May.

FIRST VISIT TO SRIRANGAM AND TIRU ANBIL
After attending to some private commitments in Chennai, I made straight to
Srirangam
on 26th May. Since I was not familiar with the procedural matters involved
in the Dwajasthamba renovation Kainkaryam, Asmad Achaaryan H.H. Srimad
Andavan, Poundarikapuram Swami Asramam, Srirangam personally arranged
through one of the Trustees of Srirangam temple for securing necessary
official permissions from the Devasthaanam and the HR & CE Board of the
Govt. of Tamil Nadu for carrying on the work. Simultaneously, he called for
and discussed with a number of artisans specializing in such temple
construction and renovation works and obtained comparative estimates of the
costs after spot inspection by them of the site for taking measurements. The
work was finally entrusted to one Sri Karuppaiah Achaari of Srirangam who
agreed to incorporate all the suggestions and modifications advised by Asmad
Achaaryan. H.H also kindly deputed again Sri Seshadri Iyengar Swami, Manager
of the Asramam to personally verify and report on the accuracy of the
measurements and the requirements. We proceeded to Tiru Anbil along with the
Achaari for the purpose and reported back to H.H.  The Achaari agreed to
complete the work in about a month?s time but only after the receipt of the
official sanction and after the delivery of the required materials at his
doors. The Achaari also referred to a supplier of Brass / Copper sheets in
Chennai (who was supplying materials for similar works in various temples),
giving details of specifications.

VISIT TO PONDICHERRY AND TIRUVAHEENDRAPURAM
A couple of days before leaving U.S.A, I received an invitation from Sri
Uruppattur Soundararajan Swami for participating in the dedication function
of Mahamandapam at Tiruvaheendrapuram on 1st June 2006. Immediately, I
responded by email saying that I wished to have the Darsana Sowbhaghyam of
the function, and endorsed a copy to Smt. Vishnupriya Chari and Sri
R.S.Chari (Retd. Chief Secretary to Govt. of Pondicherry) enquiring whether
they were planning to attend.

Since I was coming to Cuddalore en route to Tiruvaheendrapuram, they
requested me to visit Pondicherry first, stay with them for a couple of
days. I could not deny myself the opportunity of meeting with such close
family friends of over 40 years. So, on 30th May, I arrived at Pondicherry
and proposed to leave for Tiruvaheendrapuram the next day.

The devout couple had constructed a beautiful temple for Lord Hayagriva and
they insisted on my staying for one more day and proceed to
Tiruvaheendrapuram on 1st June to be right in time for the dedication
function. At that time, I did not know that they had planned for a talk by
me. I was surprised when they mentioned that I should do a Pravachanam at
the temple on 31st evening. However, I agreed and the topic assigned was
?The Mighty and the Almighty ? A clash of wills?? dealing with Man?s Free
will as juxtaposed with God?s Supreme will. I did not expect to address a
huge gathering. The hall was full and the attendees appreciated the
Pravachanam, an extract of which is being posted separately.

On 1st June 2006, I left Pondicherry for Tiruvaheendrapuram, participated in
the dedication function there and returned to Chennai that evening itself. I
had good Darsanam of Sri Deavanatha PerumaaL and Swami Desikan (the icon
made by Swami himself) as also Lord Hayavadana PerumaaL on top of the
Oushadagiri. I was presented with a dollar containing the image of Hayagriva
on one side and Swami Desika on the other as a momento.

Dasoham
Anbil Ramaswamy