You are here: SriPedia - SriRangaSri - Archives - Sep 2006

SriRangaSri List Archive: Message 00015 Sep 2006

Sep 2006 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

 >imaam asitha kEsa anthaam satha pathra nibha eekshaNaam |

 >sukha arhaam dhu:khithaam jnaathvaa mama api vyathitham mana: ||
5-16-28

> meaning: hanumaan says to himself, 'Knowing Her with black ended
>hairs, with lotus like eyes, deserving of comforts, and in sorrow, my
>mind also is gloomy."

This shlokam is handled by Vyakhyana Chakravarty Shri Periyavachan
Pillai in his Tanishlokam:

imaam asitha kEsa anthaam  - Shri Rama also has dark and fragrant hair
(mai vaNNa naRuNGgunji).  Yet, Seetha's hair is so beautiful that he
loves her tresses. (mai vaNNa naRungunjiyudaiyavarkkum pENaththagum
kuzhalaiyudaiyavaL kideer)

satha pathra nibha eekshaNaam _ he is the one who has lotus eyes
(kamalpathraakshha:)- yet he cannot take his eyes off her lustrous
dark eyes - (kamalpatraakshha: engiRa kaNkaLaale
kaNdukoNdirukkaththakka  karunkaNNaiyudaiyavaL kideer-PVP)

sukha arhaam - she is worthy to be on his lap.[It is to be remembered
that she later says 'tavaange upaavisham- I was on your lap - in her
message to Shri Rama] {avar maDiyilE irukkath thagumavaL}

dhu:khithaam jnaathvaa - she does not deserve this.(ivviruppu irukkath
thakaadhavaLaik kaNdu)

vyathitham mana:  - I am not usually moved by sadness or happiness.
Yet, even my heart is saddened by her dismal state.

The tiruvaimozhi pasuram given for this shlokam is 5.9.1.
maanEy nokku nalleer vaigalum vinaiyEn meliya
vaanaar vaNkamukum madhumallikaiyum kamazhum
thEnaar cholaikaL choozh thirulvallavaazhuRiyum
konaarai adiyEn aDikooDuvadhu enRu kolo?

Bhagavatas, please forgive the inadequate translation and
transliteration- I have tried to give as much of the original as
possible.
Thanks to Shri M.G. VAsudevan for his beautiful postings.
Shubha

Yahoo! Groups Links