[compost_tea] Pushing AACT forward;weed control:was Re: dirty filters

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 04:32:09 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "dkemnitz2000"
<dkemnitz2000_at_y...> wrote:
> ---applying act this fall over the disced soil and residue will
bring
> down nitrate levels next spring cause the microbes and fungi will
> have it tied up right? Or perhaps it's possible? Or do the
bacteria
> chew up the food before winter sets in, die and the nitrogen from
all
> the green weeds disced in is lost before Christmas.What temp range
> do protozoa thrive/survive? Did I disc too soon?

<>><>I disced too soon didn't I. I should have waited 'til the
protozoa went to sleep (soil temp around 45F) assuming the weeds
stayed green 'til that time. That would be the only way to prevent
the bacterial bloom that is happening now.. I will be losing NO3
right? OR wrong? The only way to control bacterial bloom would be
control temperature, moisture,nutrients and oxygen. The only one I
could or would want to modify would be temp.So the answer is to disc
in green matter when soil is around 45F. Volunteer wheat would work
perfect in November and then rotate to row crops the next year. What
happens to green matter disced in the ground in November at 45F 'til
ground warms up next spring? Dennis

Soil temp is
> probably above 60F currently.What happens with bacteria and fungi
at
> spring discing prior to planting as soil hits perhaps 60 F?
Bacteria

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511