[compost_tea] Pushing AACT forward;weed control:was Re: dirty filters

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 06:39:21 -0000

---applying act this fall over the disced soil and residue will bring
down nitrate levels next spring cause the microbes and fungi will
have it tied up right? Or perhaps it's possible? Or do the bacteria
chew up the food before winter sets in, die and the nitrogen from all
the green weeds disced in is lost before Christmas.What temp range
do protozoa thrive/survive? Did I disc too soon? Soil temp is
probably above 60F currently.What happens with bacteria and fungi at
spring discing prior to planting as soil hits perhaps 60 F? Bacteria
flourish again? Or how can they, as food supply should be low unless
I disc in more weeds this spring. Believe me they like to grow with
spring rains and after first discing. Do you cover some of this info
in your crop prod cd's for specific crops? So I need to get a soil
test for Ca in the watermelon patch for starters..Or do I need Cu,
Mn,Mg,Zn,K,P,N,NO3, Boron,SO4, as well? Or all the minerals? Thank
you. Dennis Kemnitz

 In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Most weeds indicate information about the soil. Thistle always
indicates
> high nitrate levels, especially at seed germination. If thistle
doesn't have
> high nitrate at that time, the seed may not germinate. If it does
germinate
> without high nitrate, it will be outcompeted by other plants.
>
> Composites often outcompete other plants when Ca is low. So,
composites
> indicate low Ca. Add back Ca - but how much is enough to get over
the low? If
> the dandelions keep winning, you aren't adding enough Ca yet.....
>
> So, your weeds mean what? Get rid of the condition that is
selecting for
> them to be more successful than your crop plant, and make the
conditions right
> for your crop plant to win the competition. You'll have fewer
weeds.

> So, more to learn....
>
> Elaine
> President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
> www.soilfoodweb.com
> SFI Oregon, USA
> SFI Australia
> SFI New York
> SFI Europe
> SFI New Zealand
>
> "Hope is not a feeling. It is not the belief that things will turn
out well,
> but the conviction that what we are doing makes sense, no matter
how things
> turn out." -- Vaclav Havel, former President of the Czech
Republic

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511