[compost_tea] Dead Horses, Member Drift, and Advertisers

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:54:31 -0400

This is a reply to the exchange about topics. membership drift and using
this forum for promoting one's own products. There is nothing in this
message about compost tea and technical aspects of making it, so skip if
that's what you're looking for.

A thought: There is a wealth of experience and ideas in the membership that
is simply not tapped into, and I think all of us can consider whether the
way we post is encouraging that wealth to develop in the group, or whether
we post in a way to DIScourage others' participation and sharing of
information. What we give is part of what we get.

This forum is about technical aspects of making compost tea. Microns and
mesh are related to applying it, and I would count that as part of the
process since there is science also involved in applying the tea. This
exchange of posts was hard to get through for me, too, yet it's on topic in
my take on the purpose of the forum. One person's dead horse is another
person's show pony. But it's not that simple -- IMO, the criterion is: is
it on topic?

There is the reality that over 400 people are on the list and they obviously
think that compost teas are something they want to talk about in some form.
The list is clear as to its stated purpose, and yet we regularly see
interesting divergences from the topic (and some not so interesting ones).

It would be possible to do a poll to find out more about the members. Poll
capabilities can be turned on in Yahoo forums. That's Jeff's call whether
he wants to use polling for any purpose.

The structure of these forums is that the owner/moderator sets the topic or
range of topics for the forum, and may take any action felt necessary up to
banning a member who strays from the topic or otherwise is not in keeping
with the topic of the forum. When members say, "Well, I LIKE talking about
x," I am reminded that what we like to talk about is not the measurement of
whether something is the purpose of a group, unless the one making this
comment is part of a rulemaking structure of that group. As far as I know,
the official rulemaking structure of the group is Jeff Lowenfels. However,
to use myself as an example, if I tell you that I like talking about it and
too bad if you don't, it gives the impression that I am (or think I am)
making the rules. Unless I am contradicted (or others who do this are
contradicted), other readers will ALSO get the impression that you're the
unofficial sheriff and what you say goes or at the very least, if they don't
agree with you they can expect a not nice comment about it. Who wants to be
publicly upbraided? No one. An environment is created in which the lurkers
will continue to lurk.

People have many issues and interests related to compost tea that they like
or want to talk about, and brewing/applying technique is only one aspect.
Is it Jeff's responsibility to make sure there is a place for all these
aspects to be discussed? Not unless he decides it is. I do believe there
is an unmet need here and somebody may decide to take on creating a way to
handle it. A forum where topics such as brewing, applying, specific
concerns of farmers with row crops, vineyards, people doing ecological
restoration, home gardeners might be easily sorted out could be quite
productive.

By the way, for anyone who desires another group enough to want to moderate
one, you can easily start one at any time -- no need to wait for Jeff to
take on yet another group. I say this as a point of information, not as a
nasty comment. In fact, Yahoo Groups are very easy to start. So - there's
no need to feel that this is the only forum, and it's quite possible to have
others. Maybe another forum would be a good idea. For example, I would
love to hear more about what Tim Kiphart is doing in ecological restoration,
especially if he is actively using compost teas. But that topic is really
not appropriate for this forum, according to its statement of purpose.

In my opinion, members' perspectives are legitimate and deserve to be
treated with respect, whether or not you agree with their points. When a
normally silent member makes a comment and is responded to by regularly more
vocal members in a way other than respectful, it comes across like there's
an in club and out club.

That idea is underscored when some of the same people, in their posts,
include in jokes or comments directed at other posters, but not at the
group. It is then possible for people to feel "I can't or don't want to
post -- I'm not in the club". Personal comments between the sender and the
receiver create the experience that I am overhearing somebody else's
comments, not participating in a group forum where all members are respected
and addressed.

I would ask that when people write posts, they remember that they are
writing to the recipient and ALL members -- not simply the recipient.
Unexplained inside comments, especially if off topic, risk creating a
negative feeling among those who don't "get it", no matter how well intended
the comment may be.

With the rude and disrespectful aspect of at least one comment to Tim
Kiphart, some writers advertised who they are in a most unflattering way.

The suggestion was made that perhaps we need another group for beginners and
advanced topics. Another possibility is to use a monthly message to the
group, reminding them the purpose of the group, what the rules are, and how
to find information in the archives. Many people who sign up for groups
don't know how to use the website aspects of those groups.

Sincerely,

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511