Re: [compost_tea] brewing native microbes

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 23:40:49 EDT

Hi Mike -

Yes, this is the one I'm talking about. Thank you for reminding me which
species they are using, I couldn't remember. If there are no mycorrhizal fungi
on the roots of the strawberry, I'd suggest going to an existing strawberry
field that has good VAM colonization, and using roots from those plants as an
inoculum. I'm leery of VAM inoculum that has only one species in it. The
reference that Matthew Ryan offered on growing your own inoculum sound spretty good.
 I'll e-mail Dr. Doud to see if there is a reference.

The Australia company selling the "grown in" Australia mycorrhizal inoculum
works in conjunction with Mycorrhizal Applications. My personal opinion is
that Dr. Mike feels that the distributor in Australia should handle questions
from clients in Australia. Chris Reid's experience suggests that the distributor
in Australia doesn't have the knowledge base that Dr. Mike has, and has
answered with less than useful information. Unhappiness about poor service and
poor answers should be addressed to Dr. Mike.

I appreciate hearing about problems, however, since we need to maintain good
education within the community.

Thanks -

Elaine