Re: [compost_tea] brewing native microbes

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 17:58:26 +0800

Link to growing M on farm. http://www.newfarm.org/depts/NFfield_trials/0=
903/daviddouds.shtml
Regards Mike Harvey
New Life Soils
www.composttea.com.au
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 11:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] brewing native microbes

  Hi Mike -

  Yes, this is the one I'm talking about. Thank you for reminding me which=
 species they are using, I couldn't remember. If there are no mycorrhizal =
fungi on the roots of the strawberry, I'd suggest going to an existing stra=
wberry field that has good VAM colonization, and using roots from those pla=
nts as an inoculum. I'm leery of VAM inoculum that has only one species in=
 it. The reference that Matthew Ryan offered on growing your own inoculum =
sound spretty good. I'll e-mail Dr. Doud to see if there is a reference.

  The Australia company selling the "grown in" Australia mycorrhizal inocul=
um works in conjunction with Mycorrhizal Applications. My personal opinion=
 is that Dr. Mike feels that the distributor in Australia should handle que=
stions from clients in Australia. Chris Reid's experience suggests that th=
e distributor in Australia doesn't have the knowledge base that Dr. Mike ha=
s, and has answered with less than useful information. Unhappiness about p=
oor service and poor answers should be addressed to Dr. Mike.

  I appreciate hearing about problems, however, since we need to maintain g=
ood education within the community.

  Thanks -

  Elaine

    species Glomus intraradices is being sold by an Australian co . Is this=
 the one you are talking about?? i am considering offering vam for strawber=
ry growers. Soil food web analysis indicates VAM are required but am not su=
re which source to use here in AUS.
    Regards Mike Harvey
          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor