[compost_tea] AACT and Pasture

From: Brian Gallagher <briang_at_timdc.govt.nz>
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 14:28:59 +1200

Dear All,
I have been a member of this site for sometime gathering information but have not been able to offer much input until now. So bear with me while I give you some background.

I am the Solid Waste Manager for the Timaru District Council which is located in the South Island of New Zealand. I am currently trying to assess what to do with upwards of 24,000 tonnes of compostable waste (eg. garden prunings, grass, weeds, food scraps). My approach has been to look at potential markets and work backwards determining processing and collection systems. Most waste management people offer a waste solution without considering what the end compost product may be or what the potential markets could be.

Agriculture is an important input to our local economy and our local dairy company is estimated to become the second largest in the world when the expansion programmes are finished in 2 years.

With my investigations at all the different processes for compostable waste, one of the niche products that shows a lot of potential is ACCT. The long term sustainability of our soils and groundwater is an important issue, because it is the life source of our economy.

Before I can convince my politicians that we should embark down a "biological" pathway for processing our waste some
"local proof " is required by them, but also for potential market expansion.

During our southern summer we will be conducting an initial ACCT trial on 12 hectares (30 acres of pasture). In-conjunction with this we will also be engaging the "Crop and Food Research Institute if New Zealand" to monitor a trial block at their research centre. I also will be applying ACCT to grassed landscaping plots so that this may attract some attention during our dry summer. (Annual rainfall 760 mm, 30 inches). Dr Elaine and Cherryle from NZ Soilfoodweb plus Richard from the Compost Tea Company of NZ have been instrumental in helping us establish our trial

I have purchased a 1000 litre (260 US Gallon) brewer from the Compost Tea Company in New Zealand. Also we have purchased a 400 litre (105 US gallon) spray unit for the trial. The spray unit operates an Imovilli M50 diaphram pump rated to 49 litres
(12.9 US gallons)/Minute open flow _at_ 580 PSI max pressure. Mounted on the rear of the unit is a KLC18 FieldJet liquid fertiliser nozzle capable of spraying a width of 6.7 metres (22 feet) at a spraying pressure of 2.5 BAR, (37.5 PSI), which equates to an application rate of 195 litres(51.5 US gallons) per Hectare (2.5 acres). Initially we are trying to achieve 80 litres/hectare. The unit also has a spray gun to allow us flexibility for other applications.

We expect to get under way mid October with the trials. We have completed one test brew with promising results, however we need to increase our fungal levels and this needs to be with our compost. With the remnants of winter and snow still lurking, we will need to heat our brew overnight. We are using a mix of vermicast and woody compost along with molasses (1 litre) and humic acid (1 litre) as the inputs.

I will endeavour to keep you informed with our progress and will post data as we have more to offer.

In the meantime I would appreciate any comments, contacts or grower experiences with ACCT and pasture/grass.

Regards
Brian Gallagher,
Solid Waste Manager,
Timaru District Council,