Re: [compost_tea] Re: barometric pressure and compost tea Oxygen levels

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 01:33:46 -0400

Ah, guys, come on. When you provide more foods for microbial growth, guess what? More microbes grow. If microbes are growing, they use up oxygen.

There's no major difference between the pumps. The difference is in the effect of more foods that the microbes can use.

Could you please stop impressing me with the fact that you are engineers? GRIN? Try to think biology........

This is in response to the following, and a couple of the previous, posts -

> Bob:
> Thanks for posting your testing results.
> Your numbers actually reveal some consistency that the air pump to your first brewer is not "identical" to the other two. The DO of the first brewer is consistently lower, in test 1 and 3, when fish was used. Fish has more N then Kelp does, I suppose. The third brewer was also producing less air then
> the second one and it became evident when the fish was used.

Please, think if you were dropped into a place where there was a little fish, just kelp, or double the amount of fish present. You wouldn't grow on the kelp much at all. You could grow on the fish, and you'd grow perhaps double on the double amount of fish. Under which condition would you use more oxygen, respire more CO2?

Think biology, not mechanical.

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR