Re: [compost_tea] Re: Molasses

From: Mike Harvey <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:51:47 +0800

Jeff,
Again I point out that I am not presenting this info as fact, more as a dis=
cussion so your input is appreciated.
Yes we will definitely be feeding bacteria however I have not seen data tha=
t says we will not be feeding fungi as well. If there is some supporting th=
is it would be great to see it .Are we just assuming that fungi are not fee=
d at all by molasses (in the soil)??
I have put diluted molasses onto compost and there is no question that the =
fungi multiplied (fungal hyphae present). I do not suggest this as a good i=
dea re growing fungi in compost merely an observation (there are better wa=
ys to do it).
Jeff said.....Tell me again why a few applications of a good fungal tea wou=
ldn't be a better idea?
A number of applications of a good fungal/bacterial tea made using over 6%=
 molasses is what we are doing and adding Humic acid as well.
This in theory should be better than AACT with (minimal food sources) since=
 there is food for the organisms to continue multiplying in the soil. I can=
 hear the crys of "....need to test this........" As I say I have no data =
on this yet (we will be testing later in the season). Does any one have dat=
a to say one way or the other?
I have seen trial results using this approach using EM (effective Microorgs=
) with significant differences using high rates of molasses - mainly bacter=
ial organisms however some fungi involved. Using the molasses increased bi=
omass by 1.5 times.
Jeff said ......wrong kind of dominance for the berries and resulting nitro=
gen is not the perfered...unless I have it backwards and strawberries like =
bacterially dominate soils?
True if the assumption that molasses only feeds bacteria in the soil is tru=
e (where is the data?).
It goes without saying that if soils are fed Molasses only there are going =
to be problems no question. Our approach is to feed enough Molasses compost=
 tea to build good levels of beneficial bacteria as well as fungi (we use H=
umic acid with the Molasses tea) then switch to more Humic acid type inputs=
 and reduce Molasses CT.
 However it must be realised that mabey 98% (I am guessing) of strawbs are =
grown using Methyl Bromide in the soil prior to planting then regular toxic=
 carcinogenic fungicides applied weekly or fortnightly. They are force fed =
with liquid NPK etc every day. Nematode damage is always around the corne=
r. Do you know for sure that a couple of applications of fungal dominated A=
ACT are going to resolve some of these issues??
I believe ( I have no data yet ) that some of these problems require a high=
 level of energy input to resolve the extreme imbalance set up in the soil.=
 Molasses compost tea, fungal dominated, has some of this "energy", my expe=
rience in past years is that using AACT fungal dominated on its own does no=
t have the energy or "horse power" to do the job (it may in other situation=
s though). High quality compost is the preferred input however very few gro=
wers consider it (where I am). I expect this to change in the future!!.
So 6% Molasses A A Compost tea combined with humic acid combined with other=
 inputs (liquid ferts and programed inputs) may be able to create the energ=
y required to improve soil food web, beat the Nematodes, increase brix of p=
lants, and reduce toxic inputs to our food chain!
Time will tell! I can say that the clients I have using this system are ext=
remely happy with the results so far. However it is early days - we have a =
hot summer to go through yet!!
Regards Mike Harvey www.composttea.com.au

From: Jeff Lowenfels
  <<<<Kirk,
  Thanks for the constructive comments.
  Let me Clarify.
  My objective in using Molasses is
  1. Provide an economical food for the M.O out in the field so that
  beneficial organisms can multiply.
  2.Reduce the harmful effect of root feeding Nematodes in the crop (strawb=
  or grapes etc).>>>>>

  You will definately be feeding bacteria out in the field. I don't think =
you can correlate what happens in the tea to what happens out there.

  No matter how cheap the molasses is using it good soil foodweb science? =
 I am not so sure it is....wrong kind of dominance for the berries and resu=
lting nitrogen is not the perfered...unless I have it backwards and strawbe=
rries like bacterially dominate soils?

  Incidently, there are a few things to remember about Dr. E's experiments =
if memory serves and if I have this wrong, I KNOW she will correct me....fi=
rst, the extra mollasses caused a change in the bacteria population which r=
esulted in good fungal numbers. I am not sure that will happen..or if it do=
es, happen quick enough out in the field. Second and third, she used good c=
ompost/humus which had fungi in it to start with and it sounds like particu=
larly good ones at that. Apparently your soils do not.

  Tell me again why a few applications of a good fungal tea wouldn't be a b=
etter idea?

  Cheers,

  Jeff