[compost_tea] Re: Molasses

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:58:43 -0800

Mike et al -- I gotta push back some here, not getting why so much molasses,
which is not to suggest it's bad. Just curious. It's expensive, bulky,
sticky,
yucky stuff and tricky with DO, and it still doesn't seem to me bacteria
need all that much help in tea. Doc, anyone, am I wrong in thinking the vast
majority of reproductive activity in tea is going to be done by bacteria, no
matter what? Why so much molasses?

> Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:31:41 +0800
> From: "Mike Harvey" <mharvey_at_westnet.com.au>
> Subject: Re: Re: Re: Worm Food & Molasses
>
> The work done on Molasses CT by Dr E showed very high bacterial numbers
> with corresponding good to excellent fungi, Basidiomycete dominated (if
my
> memory serves me correctly). <
So it's specifically basidiomycete fungi being sought via molasses
concentration? Are they rare? I don't know. If fungi grow but don't
reproduce in tea, seems like we're still relying on what's in the compost,
not the molasses. Are there not other ways to prep or stimulate
basidiomycetes?

> This type of work with molasses can only be done with the correct
equipment
> ie highly efficient O2 transfer ( I use very efficient membrane diffusers)
> with large volumes of air. Reliable DO meter is required. <
Agree. What diffusers are you using? But again, I have to ask, are the
large air volume, electric, equipment and molasses expenses, DO risks worth
it? I tend to think not for most tea makers.

> [How to] introduce food for the critters without excessive cost?? Molasses
could be
> used through the drip line however if it is not "pre composted" it may
cause
> an increase in pathogenic organisms?? <
Compost or mulches or greens turned in sure seem less expensive than
molasses, and again, why do you want to feed molasses, in this case alone?
Is there some secret here you're not revealing? What are you actually
growing? Ya, there seems a pathogen risk and pretty much anywhere you put
it there's a bacterial boost, but bacteria are gonna make it no mater
what... I've been led to believe they are the most prolific and robust
critters on earth, hmm?

> So I believe there is a clear role for Molasses CT above 5%. This would
> provide the right organisms as well as food source thus improving the
> success rate in using AACT. Note we use Humic acid as well as the Molasses
> tea. <
Still don't buy it unless you have massive air capacity, which on top of the
cost of molasses doesn't seem either economic or necessary, or safe for
small makers other than in smaller proportion. Regards to you and look
forward to being more informed, too.

-- Kirk L

Rent DVDs Online - Over 14,500 titles.
No Late Fees & Free Shipping.