Re: [compost_tea] Winterizing skid spray pump

From: <wpb_at_sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 10:15:04 -0800

I would be wary of RV antifreeze, especially diluting it for winterizing
a sprayer. Although it's labelled ANTI-FREEZE, it does freeze, it just
doesn't expand like water, which is what is hard on pump housings and
fittings. This is why it works in RV's that have plastic piping. Another
down fall is that the RV stuff has alcohol, which is a solvent,
providing no lubrication for pump parts as you're running it through. On
my field sprayers I buy jugs of 50/50 premixed antifreeze from the local
Deere dealer and use that. In the spring I collect most of it back and
save for reuse. For smaller pumps, I drain them and bring them inside
where there is no chance of freezing. From my experience surviving
several Canadian winters :-)
Bill Baranick