[compost_tea] Re: compost application

From: dkemnitz2000 <dkemnitz2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 05:23:51 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_y...> wrote:

> Question by dkemnizts How thick is 2 tons compost per acre &how to
apply.
> 43,560 sf/a. about 900 lbs / cy. 2 tons is 4000/900= 4.444cy x27=
120 cf in 2 tons 120/43,560= ft thickness =0.00275 ft thickness x
12 = 0,033 inches .

> That is about the thickness of the paper you print this on. So how
can you spread it so thin? Butter knife? Well no. Big trucks with
heavy duty spreaders. Compost goes on in particles that scatter much
thicker but with space betwee particles.

> The soil bugs rally around and multi;ply on and under ground so
this tiny amount of compost is very effective. Spreading 2 tons by
hand would be a tough job. Getting it that thin would be hard to
imagine.

> This I think is the beauty of ACT. Put compost down heavy and
seldom. Use ACT more often and foliar.

> Question - Is this just hype beause there aren't many numbers
invilved? I feel self conscious every time I write for this group
because there seems to be a resentment if anybody promotes an idea.

Opinions anyone? Bob

<><><><><><<><><><><><><><<<><>Thanks Bob! Seems like the ole
fashioned manure spreader may apply too much (more than 2 ton)?
dkemnizts

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511