[compost_tea] Re: Re: Re: Yucca

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 14:04:50 -0800

Chris, Laura -- Nope, not same yucca. Link pic looks more like a Joshua
tree. Close relative, anyway. Poking around web, I found an amazing yucca
site - from Denmark, no less! Seems yucca grow nearly everywhere. Glad to
know they grow in New England, too. Also Canada. Thought they would.
http://www.bennyskaktus.dk/Y_species.htm is the yucca index page on the site
and the schidigera pic there is a more common yucca, I think. At
least I've seen more of them... haven't ever been to Wild Horse Canyon.
Either might not grow north of 35 degrees or so, or in non-arid zones, it
seems. Mine appear to be yucca flaccida "ivory" hybrids - much prettier
than filamentosa, closer to glauca.:-)

Thanks for "babe" advisory, too, Chris. I was wondering about that.

And I'd still like to know more about saponin extracts from yucca, wanting
to believe there's probably more than one yucca that's useful for that.
>From frond*, flower, root, fruit? How?

-- Kirk

*Yucca expert Benny Jensen calls them leaves but they're much more like
fronds to me so I'm going to stick with frond until someone tells me the
difference between a frond and a leaf more clearly. I mean, I've got fat,
yard long things growing thick and straight up from clumps in the ground,
perenially, and they really don't seem like leaves... Huge needles maybe?

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511