Re: [compost_tea] compost tea a pseudoscience?

From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:52:44 -0800 (PST)

Hi TED, glad to read as you circle back around to where we think we are. When you say "If I promise A and B then I have to produce A & B in my business." Doesn't that depend on what A & B is? Should you ever promise what you can't deliver? Is a number on some test a better A than a broad quality A that you can be sure of? Must agriculture be more precise than the weather that has much to do with what happens How dare you even want take all the risk, mystry, surprise and joy out of unmeasurable, unpredictable nature? Farmers pull handles all summer anticipating a jackpot. Bob ( grin )

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:By the way -- in case anybody cares -- I buy into the SFW concept fully. When people ask me what my business does I state: "We are in the process of restoring depleted soils to their natural state of bio-diversity."
The SFW is a fact and I have seen the concepts work. We may end up with regualtions against the use of compost tea just as we will see regulations regarding the use of compost. I would imagine that most of these concern irrational fears of e-coli. Commercial compost operations are already under considerable attack in CA and the county I live in is in the process of enacting rules that will completely stop the composting of biosolids unless more rational minds purvail.

I would hope this group posits questions and let's Elaine answer. She appears very free with a lot of valuable knowledge. If she has to spend her internet time fighting straw men or paper tigers, we are misusing a valuable resource. We should know the basics or know where to find certain things and we should be very careful about stating facts or results because in this, as in any, "emerging" field it is easy to be labeled a crackpot.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth