Re: [compost_tea] Re: Re: Tilling is sometimes necessary!

From: Jason Kimm <jsnkmm_at_in-tch.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2003 18:39:25 -0700

Chris,
7:1 Ca:Mg is the ratio that one should strive for according to Reams via Do=
c. Skow. At much lower concentrations of Ca the soil does not flocculate w=
ell thus compaction. I have also found that even at very high ratios like =
20:1 - 40:1 with sufficient quantities of Mag in the soil there can still b=
e problems with compaction. We have not worked out the details on this yet=
 however. The calcium seems to be non functional . ?? Perhaps the fungal =
biomass is low (and it is somewhat on my farm), perhaps there is trace mine=
ral affecting the Calciums functionality. We are continuing to work on thi=
s issue.
Regards,
Jason Kimm