[compost_tea] Compost Tea Best Practices - Ingredients INPUT REQUESTED

From: chris reid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2003 13:55:17 -0500

There is some info that would be useful to add to the ingredients section of
the best practices document, but I don't have it.

Does anybody - manufacturers, distributors, or tea users and brewers -- have
any input on how to store compost tea ingredients?

For example, are they damaged by overly hot weather? freezing weather? Is
anybody having problems with animals eating your ingredients?

If Jeff Young is out there, maybe he can comment on the best way to store
fish hydrolysate and what happens if it's stored incorrectly.

I would also like to talk to someone who has researched the humic
acid/leonardite/leonardite extract questions and understands the key
properties to look for in selecting humic acid products.

If anyone wants to send me their input on what they have learned about
important qualities of different ingredients and how to select them, please
contact me THIS WEEK, okay? ESPECIALLY if you have learned the hard way --
by buying a product that had an unanticipated effect or didn't do what you
needed it to do. I am not looking to slam products, I am looking to
describe important CHARACTERISTICS of products when people decide what to
buy for their particular use and requirements. What is okay in one
situation may not work in another.

Also, info on the bucket method for extracting protozoa from hay:
        use organic or unsprayed hay?
        how can you tell if the hay has been sitting for too long (does it ferment?
does the smell change? does it produce alcohol?)
        does aeration of the bucket add anything?

Anything else you think we should include that YOU want to write up to add,
send it to me, please.

I look forward to getting this part of the compost tea best practices and
ideas document posted as soon as possible.

thanks,

Chris Reid

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511