[compost_tea] Re: USNOP Thing

From: Kirk Leonard <kirk_at_oregonatural.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:49:30 -0800

Bob, and others who replied off list... I know it's uphill but the notion
of any National Organic Program not supporting compost teas drives me nuts.
It's up to us to turn this craziness around, or at least try. Uphill is not
impossible. Given how WRONG USNOP is on CT, it oughta be a skate, but we
need to speak up. Their game cannot stand the light of day.

> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 16:05:09 -0800 (PST)
> From: Robert Norsen <bnbrew_at_yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Re: US National Organic Program Problems
>
> What is going on, Kirk ? ...When big organizations can make 20 cents worth
of readily available stuff into 200 dollars worth of stuff they can sell,
then do it by the hundreds of thousands of tons they can soon buy a strong
voice in government... That is the problem. I. too , would like an answer.
Once we migrated to new shores and had a party. We need a party.? <

I understand some of the larger problem, Bob - you are senior, but I've been
around a while, too.:) Don't think we need a party, though that would help.
Every party I'm ever at hears or already knows about compost tea, anyway...
At this point, we need to be asking as many questions thru US Congress as we
can about USNOP and compost tea.

USDA, specifically Richard Matthews, NOP manager, and Barbara Robinson, AMS
administrator, pretty clearly made up their minds years ago not to support
compost tea as an allowable organic practice. They have trumped up goofy
"research," never providing any reasonable documentation or data. Brinton's
recent "proclamation" is probably their ace-in-the-hole right now, believe
it or not - dozens of replications were implied there - where is all the
information they might act on available for peer review, or even public
review? This is not research, it's propaganda.

> ...need to be runnung Hollywood, NBC, ABS, 60 minutes and many more...
<
I'm sure we'd be better off if Jeff was doing these things but that's not
realistic, Bob. Every one of us telling people what we're doing and taking
a little time to query our congresspeople is realistic... and necessary if
we're to get ACT thru USDA hoops anytime soon. On compost tea, in my
experience, they respond to congressional inquiries, not much else.
(Although we did piss Dick and Barb off pretty good and belay their desire
to stop compost tea with a flurry of emails last year, it seems:-).

Look in your local phone book and call your US Cong reps and ask them what
is happening with compost tea at USDA's NOP, please. Tell me/us you did this
Bob and I'll hear your rap. Takes about 10 minutes to start and if they're
amenable you can set up an email connection. Costs you maybe 15 minutes a
week to track it. Might have to write a letter or two.
Easy to do. It's their job to listen to you and answer your questions and
most of them are good, enjoyable people who also believe in little d
democracy, and your experience is informative. I believe if we don't do it,
it ain't going to get done...

-- Kirk

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511