Re: [compost_tea] USNOP From The Back Seat - More Questions

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 15:38:15 -0800

Guys:

We will never get the approval you seek until the CT industry becomes as po=
werful as the pesticide/fertilizer/chemical input industry.

We (EW/SOE) were making a presentation regarding biosolids to our board of =
supervisors. During the public comment, a grizzled old guy gets up and sta=
tes that he has been composting with biosolids for over 40 years with no ne=
gative results. He then went on to list a number of eco disasters involvin=
g ag chemicals. One, of which I was unaware, was the poisoning of Chesepea=
ke (sp) bay when heavy rains caused chemicals applied to fields around the =
bay to be washed into the bay. Yet, the restrictions on chemical applicati=
ons are no where nearly as draconian as those proposed for biosolids. CT i=
s the enemy of the chemical industry and it is the chemical industry that m=
akes heavy campaign contributions and fields (no pun) hundreds of lobbyists=
 to influence legislation and rules of usage.

We are using logic and good practices (Which in many ways go against almost=
 everything we have been taught about ag in this society.) to fight an entr=
enched industry with millions at stake. Who do you think will win in this =
confrontation? We need to acknowledge that pesticides to have a valuable p=
lace used with discretion to solve specific problems. If we try to fight t=
hem through legislation, we will lose badly. We need to embrace what is po=
sitive and reinforce that using more chemicals to solve problems caused by =
chemicals is the wrong way to go. We already know that CT will not "cure" =
or "eradicate" an existing infestation the way pesticides will. So it is pr=
eventative. This is like getting people to change their oil every so many =
miles. It's a process of education and we are still too new in the game to=
 have much impact.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth