[compost_tea] Re: USNOP From The Back Seat - More Questions

From: <hi_yield1_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 00:40:40 -0000

WELL SAID TED!!
Take care Hi_Yield1.

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, "Ted Peterson" <ted.peterson_at_t...>
wrote:
> Guys:
>
> We will never get the approval you seek until the CT industry
becomes as powerful as the pesticide/fertilizer/chemical input
industry.

> We (EW/SOE) were making a presentation regarding biosolids to our
board of supervisors. During the public comment, a grizzled old guy
gets up and states that he has been composting with biosolids for over
40 years with no negative results. He then went on to list a number
of eco disasters involving ag chemicals. One, of which I was unaware,
was the poisoning of Chesepeake (sp) bay when heavy rains caused
chemicals applied to fields around the bay to be washed into the bay.
 Yet, the restrictions on chemical applications are no where nearly as
draconian as those proposed for biosolids. CT is the enemy of the
chemical industry and it is the chemical industry that makes heavy
campaign contributions and fields (no pun) hundreds of lobbyists to
influence legislation and rules of usage.

> We are using logic and good practices (Which in many ways go against
almost everything we have been taught about ag in this society.) to
fight an entrenched industry with millions at stake. Who do you think
will win in this confrontation? We need to acknowledge that
pesticides to have a valuable place used with discretion to solve
specific problems. If we try to fight them through legislation, we
will lose badly. We need to embrace what is positive and reinforce
that using more chemicals to solve problems caused by chemicals is the
wrong way to go. We already know that CT will not "cure" or
"eradicate" an existing infestation the way pesticides will. So it is
preventative. This is like getting people to change their oil every
so many miles. It's a process of education and we are still too new
in the game to have much impact.

> Ted Peterson
> Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth

Yahoo! Groups Links