Re: [compost_tea] Re: back pack sprayers (Cleaning lesson)

From: w.reece speas <wrspeas_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 17:55:03 -0800 (PST)

Hi everyone ,Reece here , I have just had my cleaning lesson from Dr.Ingraham , on my g.s. machine , I did not realize that cleaning had to be so through , after you spray down the inside of my brewer it looks clean , i thought it was , we have since learned that i need to make a slight change ,although it already has some modifacations to it, 4 air pods one under each bag, there is still about 5 in. of space below ,where the sedament settle's . so we are going to add a hose to go specically to the bottom get that moving , i didnt know how the build up of film hurts the tea you are brewing , so each air pod will come off ,its easy, screws off real quick, hose off the bottom, a drop of disinfectant, a spritz bottle full of disinfectant ,spray off and we should be in good shape ,of course the prooff is in the #'s , Elaine is in the process of testing batch # 5,from my machine, we will make the change's ,add the extra line to the bottom and we will see what happens with load # 6
 , i
 appreciate everyones help ,here's to the future, of some quality tea thanks , Reece

Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net> wrote:I tried this in a small sprayer but I think it's much easier to just flush thoroughly right after use. Remember also, we are trying to minimize inputs. At a customer's site, you have to depend on them to clean the sprayer. There are a lot of compounds that sterilize tanks but regardless, there is always some residue. I don't think small amounts of residue can be a reason for not using the tank. Similarly, if your customer has a copper tank, you use it. Copper tanks are big in Europe by the way. Most stuff here is aluminum or stainless steel or plastic. I think we need to keep things as clean as possible but one never knows how a customer treats his equipment. Ultimately, it is what the effect of the tea is on the plants.

As I mentioned, early on I thought we could spray once to prevent mildew outbreak. I learned that it took several sprays and on heavy mildew seasons at least twice per week. However, the plants get more than just protection from disease, they get microbes that fix other things for the plants and make for a better crop. If we had balked at using the sprayer because the customer had cleaned it to his specification, we would have been out of business fast. We, of course, recommended thorough cleaning and flushing but you just never know for sure unless you do it yourself. Now, I don't know about you but if my customer has a field hand who does all the cleaning, I have to rely on that hand and work with him/her to make sure we have a good relationship. That way, my customer is happy, the hand is happy and we get what we want.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth