Salts (Was Re: [compost_tea] How to add inorganic nutrients)

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 22:25:36 -0800

As far as I can tell, it is impossible to tell whether your compost has the=
 microbes needed to deal with salt unless you specifically tailor your comp=
ost to do so and get it tested. We are not looking for salt-eating microbe=
s anyway. What we are looking for are microbes the plant can work with tha=
t will help the plant be more salt tolerant.

The prospect of salt-eating microbes is interesting. If there is such a th=
ing, I hope they never gets into the oceans. Since we are salt water, they=
 would be rather harmful to us also. There are many types of salts in our s=
ystems and we need even the trace amounts of rare salts found there. As I =
understand it Lithium, as used for some psychotics, is also a salt. I woul=
d hate to think that all these people who find their symptom aleviated thro=
ugh Lithium are at risk by salt-fixing/eating microbes. This is something =
I will have to research because it is knowledge of which I am unaware. I d=
idn't think there was any solution to salt build up in soil other than dren=
ching the soil and diluting the salt. Interesting.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth