Re: [compost_tea] Re: confused and alarmed

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 16:17:57 -0800

Patents are interesting. I have filed for patents but cannot afford the wh=
ole patent search and exclusivity process. (It's about $300K.) So I have p=
atent pending registration. In a court, that's good enough coverage. One =
cannot patent "brewing" as a process and there are many ways CT can be brew=
ed. So the only things that gives my stuff an edge is the service I give, =
the uniqueness of my design, clean up time and ease and the price to be com=
petitive. My 225G brewers sell for $1400. Less if you get the container (=
It's specific to the brewer.) on your own. I even show people where to get=
 them. Some people just don't find that good enough though. I have never =
had one come back but have had them duplicated with less than favorable res=
ults.

Take composting for example. Show a client how to compost as part of a con=
tract and some person at your client's will think they've got it down and y=
ou can be removed. It's the same with brewing. It is important to show th=
e client enough, if you are working on a long range contract, to get them g=
oing but not enough to allow them to remove you from the equation. I had t=
wo clients restructure contracts because they thought they could "do it the=
mselves." Both failed miserably because regardless of instruction and bein=
g shown how to do it right, they opted for shortcuts to save a little ime. =
 Now, I don't begrudge a person pinching a penny but sometimes financial ga=
in in the short run leads to long term loss overall.

I think this group is good. The explanation that Elaine gave of CT and sal=
t was more than worth putting up with list Fascists.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth