[compost_tea] Re: cleaning machines

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 18:00:27 -0000

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Hi Chris -
>
> If the pipe with the 90 degree turn isn't in the tea, and is no
where near the tea, how does anything that would cause a bio-film
get into a pipe well away from the water?

Elaine and all

I have sent Elaine privately the photographs of my brewer so she can
see what I am talking about. Having stuck out my neck, it will be
of course very embarrassing if I am full of bulldoody. But at least
it will help everyone either be confident that there is no problem
or recognize where to look on their brewer and check for possible
problems. I don't consider this badmouthing. I consider it
criticism, offering backup for what I am pointing to, and being
willing to discuss FACTS not CHARACTERIZATIONS. I'm definitely not
on my game in terms of separating being upset about what's going on
in the list from sticking with the facts. But facts is where we
will go with this.

I did not post these pictures to the list because one of the things
that WORKS about Bob's brewer is it is simple, and in doing so
(posting the pictures), I would do Bob the disservice of making it
possible for people to copy a brewer he spent many dollars in
developing.

It is said "there's many a slip twixt the cup and the lip" and I
think if I understand that saying correctly, it means a lot can
happen in between 1) what a manufacturer expected the customer to do
with their brewer and their "design assumptions" and 2) what happens
in the real world and what customers DO do with a brewer.

What customers can teach manufacturers is something about all the
conditions under which their brewers get used. So, let's help Bob
with some feedback here. If you have a Bitti or a Bob, and it has
the features I described, could you please take a look and see if
you have any buildup in these areas? Especially if you brew a lot
of tea and especially if you leave the brewer in your tea at all
with the AIR TURNED OFF.

This comes to Elaine's question above -- how does it get dirty if
there's no tea in contact with it? Because there IS tea in contact
with it if you turn off the brewer air with the brewer still in the
tank of tea. Which you WILL do if you read Bob's directions, as I
recall, because he WARNS you not to run the pump without having it
in the tea, probably to keep the motor from burning out or something.

This will help everybody and I can handle the sheer embarrassment of
being an idiot or wrong in the name of science (grin). Once Elaine
sees what I am saying, maybe she can say if this is the kind of
place one should worry about cleaning or not.

If there are only two of us who have this problem, then everyone who
is considering buying one of these machines will know is not an
issue. If it is a problem for more than two of us, then we hope Bob
will consider including specific cleaning instructions with the
brewer so people can get great results every time. Consider selling
a brush with the brewer so people have the right tool for the job
and don't forget to clean it.

Okay? And this is my problem with Bob's posts. I would like to
request, Bob, that instead of posting what many consider to be
marketing posts, you post questions to people about what features
they need but are missing, or post the cleaning directions for your
brewer and ask for feedback, or ask people how many of them have
tested their tea using your recipe and whether they can get the same
results. This is totally within the purpose of the list of building
info on tea making and using, it will help you improve the product,
and you will make friends and customrs if and when you are
responsive to what you learn. It is my experience that the most
effective persuasion is when people are given facts and they
persuade themselves.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: