Re: [compost_tea] Re: cleaning machines

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:20:26 -0500

Hi Chris -

If the pipe with the 90 degree turn isn't in the tea, and is no where near the tea, how does anything that would cause a bio-film get into a pipe well away from the water?

Linda, Mike and others, instead of getting nasty and attacking, I think it would be much wiser to say, "no, really guys, there's a bio-film there. I can show you."

Get to the specific problem. Solutions are only possible when the specific situation is dealt with. Cleaning is a serious issue.

Manufacturers ARE responsible for their designs, and they have been sued for murder when proven willfully negligent. We do not live in a "Buyer Beware" society, as long as someone is willing to fight for the consumer.

Unfortunately, the USDA is the Federal Agency in charge of compost tea. Apparently, what they want to do is shut down the whole compost tea industry because it competes with the chemical - pesticide industry, which is paying the vacation and fringe benefits for the Federal bureaucracy. Big busines has the money to pay for milliions in pay-off money, but not enough money to pay more in taxes. Interesting.

Take home message - pay attention to Kirk Leonard. The USDA is out to make compost tea something you can't use. And people that make machines and sell them on a commercial level which result in harm to plants and potentially to humans (i.e., the machine grows E. coli because of poor aeration design) will be the cause of this industry being shut down unless all of you do something to bring the USDA into line. Your congressional representatives are the way to do this. I've tried working through the Compost Tea Task Force, and folks, it's been a joke. A bad joke, but there are at least two people whose purpose on the task force is to prevent any progress from being made, and they are being successful in achieving their goal.

Back to the issue at hand -

Chris, at least you are interested in solving this problem instead of just causing general grief and harm. You have come forward to say the pipe really does have bio-film in it. The first I've heard that bio-film develops.

The proof I have of my statements on the 90 degree not being a problem is also observational. I have never seen a problem there.

But I'm entirely capable of recognizing a problem when the problem is put before me in a reasonable manner.

I'm not capable of wanting to help people who attack and are nasty.

So, what happened to get tea into that turn? What's going on?

Elaine Ingham
President, Soil Foodweb Inc.
SFI Corvallis, OR
SFI Port Jefferson, NY