Re: [compost_tea] Growing mushrooms with CT

From: Ted Peterson <ted.peterson_at_tcsn.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 10:08:33 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: soilfoodweb_at_aol.com
  To: compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, December 22, 2003 2:44 AM
  Subject: Re: [compost_tea] Growing mushrooms with CT

  Mycorrhizal fungi require roots in order to produce a large amount of bio=
mass.

Elaine:

Good explanation. It clears up some misconceptions I had. I thought that =
the mycelium was the branching network of the fungi and the hyphae were ind=
ividual threads that sprouted into the mycelium. I rerread my microbiology=
 book and found that I had misread the following:

"The individual threads of the mycelium are known as the hyphae. . . . The =
hyphae have thin walls that to allow for ready absorption of food and water=
. This fact helps to account for the rapid growth of fungi. The portion fo=
 the mycelium concerned with nutrition is referred to as the "vegetative my=
celium". . . .

I thought the mycelium developed from the hyphae and that it was needed to =
show true fungal growth.

Ted Peterson
Earth-Wise/Spirit of the Earth