[compost_tea] Re: cutworms and parasitic nematodes

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:26:39 -0000

http://www.ns.ec.gc.ca/epb/factsheets/bkyard_bug/cutworm.html

This link above provides an overview of some of the non-chemical
approaches that can be used.

Jeff's suggestions are all valid as long-term suggestions. It is my
experience that people are at different places with getting their
soil into good organic shape. As Elaine has pointed out often, the
insects probably are a message that they're not completely there
yet. So with the immense variation in where people are with
implementing these measures, stuff (like cutworm infestations)
happens.

 Healing the soil is directly linked to having a garden. Cutworms
can do dramatic damage to a garden and kind of cut the soil
experiment short, so to speak.

I think for anybody trying to design a program of using tea as part
of an intervention in a specific insect problem, you will find a
general way to proceed by looking at the edited version of Elaine's
post in the front of the specific applications document (see the
compost tea file area of the compost tea list website), and also see
the post related to nematodes in the ingredients document.

There's a bigger ecological picture to look at, and in terms of
short term intervention, all roads don't necessarily lead to tea.

I notice that the cutworm eggs need moisture to survive and stay in
the top layer of the soil. What would happen if the top layer of
soil had some sand mixed in before the usual egg laying time? Would
it get dried out enough to be an unhappy place to lay cutworm eggs?

The literature says nematodes and parasitic wasps can be used.

As Jeff said, nematodes don't reproduce in tea, but they can be
added after brewing and applied with tea. This is described in the
ingredients document. I applied my 'todes as a drench. Elaine
would have to clarify whether there are considerations as to
pressure, nozzle type, nematode mortality in being sprayed and
advisability of straining your tea before applying. You might
strain out the nematodes??

They live in a film of water in the soil and swim to get to their
targets, so especially for desert dwellers, it would be important to
think through the conditions necessary for their survival and
whether your soil temperature and moisture level are compatible with
a tea plus 'todes approach. Also, not all nematodes are equal --
some are better choices than others for use on particular pests.
Research before buying. I choose to buy mine from a lab that grows
them, in order to try to get fresh nematodes. Time your ordering to
coincide with your intended date of application. My lab ships
overnight, and packs them in cold packs. They arrived cold and I
used them the same day.

HTH.

Chris Reid

Yahoo! Groups Links