Re: [compost_tea] Re: Black Spot (apple scab)

From: Nic Pattison <nicksonstream_at_yahoo.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 08:27:51 +1300 (NZDT)

Eric - I think next season I will have the confidence
to delete sulphur from my programme completely. The
secret with black spot is to eliminate the
overwintering of the ascospores and my approach will
be to ground apply several AACT brews plus fish brew
plus molasses. Sulphur just seems to be such a
damaging material - I understand it also interfers
with the electromagnetic flow in the soil.
The use of Hydrogen peroxide and cider vinegar is new
to me. What is the mode of action? Cidar vinegar I
have used to lower pH.
Nic
 --- ericgoodenough <sfo_at_gwi.net> wrote:
---------------------------------
Nick - apple scab is probably the number one nemesis
of our organic
apple orcharding efforts here in the Northeast US. I
am interested
to hear from you or the group whether you think the
Sulfur is
necessary (even the few sprays you used this
year)and/or whether you
think adequate control could be obtained via quality
compost teas? I
would be very happy with 1 - 2 % infection of my crop
but am
unwilling to spray sulfur to get there. Is it
feasible, likely or
even desirable to completely eradicate the scab? At
what cost (both
menetary and to the micro-ecosystem)?

PS: As an alternative to sulfur, some are showing
interest in a mix
of hydrogen peroxide (1%) and apple cider vinegar (to
make a
peroxyacetic acid?) as an early season clean-up or
post infection
treatment for scab and other fungal diseases. Good
chance it knocks
out existing incocula on the leaf, however, so use
before CT
application or in the event of an outbreak.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

Terms of Service.

Yahoo! Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to: