Re: [compost_tea] Re: necessary to add carbs or sugar after applying a compos...

From: <soilfoodweb_at_aol.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:05:49 EST

Who is it that told you fungi pull carbs from plants? I'd like to know, so I
can make sure that person and I have a little discussion.

Mycorrhizal fungi will extend hyphae into the roots, but the plant is in
control of that interaction. If the fungus doesn't give the plant what the plant
needs, the plant cuts off the food supply.

Disease causing fungi will take carbs from a plant, but the whole reason we
want all these beneficial fungi around the root is to protect that root from
the diseases, so the carb drain doesn't happen.

Elaine